Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going with a CMMG upper with a 16" barrel. There is a mid length and an "M4" length for the handguards. I assume the gas tube on the M4 is shorter also.

My question is this.

Why do some people prefer the shorter hand guard with the fsb closer in?

I'm going with an optic so sight distance is not an issue. But I am thinking of putting a quad-rail on it eventually and it might be nice to have some more room up front.

In your opinions is there anything beneficial to the shorter M4 style handguards over the mid length?

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1343131&cat=27&

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
carbine rail systems are cheaper than midlength rail systems for obvious reasons. Heh less aluminum to machine. I have a middy and a carbine as for recoil I didnt notice much of a difference. I prefer the looks and proportions of the middy moreso than the carbine. The gas tube is a couple inches longer on the mid.

·
Registered
903 Posts
It has to do with the gas system. Carbine, Mid-Length and Rifle (I think that's the right names) are the three different sized. So the handguards are sized accordingly.

So determine what length gas system you are using and that will determine the size handguards.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
If you decide to go with CMMG M4 set up, let me know. I have a brand new upper from CMMG w/ 16" chrome lined bbl, M4 Contour, FSB, Handguard, M16 BCG (properly staked), MP tested on the barrel and BCG, charging handle, anodized feed ramps... Basically it's a complete upper w/o the rear sight ofcourse!

CMMG has this on their site for $575.00 plus $12 for shipping. Not to mentioned the wait time!

I'll sell mine for $550 shipped (m/o)... w/o the week(s) of wait time! ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
In addition to having a longer sight radius (as mentioned), a mid-length gas system on a 16" barrel will allow you to mount a bayonet easily. Not that this is an important feature to many, but it is sort of neato.

Also, there are more options out there for carbine-length hand guards than there are for middy hand guards.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
With the midlength and iron sights, you can also enjoy a tad longer sight radius. There used to be an issue with recoil in the shorter M4 because of the buffer but I believe that was resolved at some point in time. Someone more in the "know" can probably pipe in here.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I'm going with a mid length because of the sight radius and I think it looks more proper. I've also heard of "full length" systems where the front sight is basically all the way up front, but haven't done much research on them.

I don't have a problem with the carbine gas system, so I wouldn't switch just because of that.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I went with the midlength CMMG: On top of everything else, I just like the looks of it better:

Woof
Bowser

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you decide to go with CMMG M4 set up, let me know. I have a brand new upper from CMMG w/ 16" chrome lined bbl, M4 Contour, FSB, Handguard, M16 BCG (properly staked), MP tested on the barrel and BCG, charging handle, anodized feed ramps... Basically it's a complete upper w/o the rear sight ofcourse!

CMMG has this on their site for $575.00 plus $12 for shipping. Not to mentioned the wait time!

I'll sell mine for $550 shipped (m/o)... w/o the week(s) of wait time! ;)
Sounds good. If I go that route I'll let you know. thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts