Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the real skinny on carrying knives in MI? I have carried a variety of normal size pocket folding knives over the past couple decades with no problems, but I overheard a gunshop sales clerk telling some bloke that local municipalities can set their own laws regarding blade length, method of opening, etc. The guy he was telling this to seemed to think it was BS, and that was my gut feeling, too. But, I guess I need to make sure I'm right. I don't need my pistol seized because I was in posession of an "illegal knife".

Thanks-

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Detroit has a limit of 3" period, other places do as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"Section 750.226

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931
<O:p</O:p
750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.
Sec. 226.
Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars."

There is no "knife" equivalent of a CPL in MI. Carrying a knife over 3" in MI could place you in jeopardy of losing not only your knife and pistol, but also your CPL and your freedom. I would imagine that a pilot would be someone who enjoys their freedom, no? Debating the issue of "intent" in the above excerpt would be how your lawyer might earn his keep. No point in doing it here. Best CYA on this one.

BTW, do you own or rent your aircraft? - Sheff

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
That is just insane. This show how truly ignorant our legislators are.
+1. Oregon has a similar standard, but afaik it only applies to concealed knives. Anything in a visible sheath or clipped to a pocket is okay. Oh well....

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
So carrying a regular picket knife could make me a felon in some states, since the one a carry every day has a 3.25" blade. I really do feel sorry for some of you guys.

I guess it is a good thing I have a concealed weapons permit here in Oregon.

"or a knife other than an ordinary pocket knife, the use of which could inflict injury upon a person or property"

Well who figures out what a regular pocket knife is? Any pocket knife could inflict injury.

</pre>

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
So carrying a regular picket knife could make me a felon in some states, since the one a carry every day has a 3.25" blade. I really do feel sorry for some of you guys.

I guess it is a good thing I have a concealed weapons permit here in Oregon.

"or a knife other than an ordinary pocket knife, the use of which could inflict injury upon a person or property"

Well who figures out what a regular pocket knife is? Any pocket knife could inflict injury.
Is this something I don't know about? My CHL instructor (not CWP) was very specific about it being a "Concealed HANDGUN License." Carrying any other weapon concealed is still illegal, even with a CHL.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the legal blather, Sheffield. The only remaining mystery for me is whether municipalities can enact ordinances that are more restrictive than the state law you quoted. For now, I'll stick with my 1.5 in. swiss army with the tweezers and ball point pen. Feel-good laws like this drive me nuts. I could kill someone with a #2 pencil. Oh, well. To answer your other question, I have always rented. I haven't flown lately though. I just took a buyout from Chrysler and am back in college for the good-ol mid-life career change, so time and $ for flying are short. No worries, though. As the Terminator said- "I'll be back."

Jim

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Is this something I don't know about? My CHL instructor (not CWP) was very specific about it being a "Concealed HANDGUN License." Carrying any other weapon concealed is still illegal, even with a CHL.
I'm not sure about PDX, but I just asked my friend who is a LEO and he said it only applies to public buildings.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I'm not sure about PDX, but I just asked my friend who is a LEO and he said it only applies to public buildings.
Ahhh. Might just be a local law then. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts