Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Michigan CPL holder and I have an up and coming event where I'd like to carry (not the best neighborhood). This event is at a community college in their auditorium used for plays and such. Michigan CPL law prohibits carrying in "A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university' and 'An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more'. The venue is less that 2,500 seats, but this community college one has me a little fuzzy. Technically, I would not be carrying in a dorm or classroom - it's the theater. However, could the theater be considered a classroom?? Just curious as to anyone else's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
MGO (as mentioned above) and opencarry.org (the michigan subforum) are the best places to ask if you don't understand michigan carry law. From what I understand, the members are basically the same people, but the subforum on OCDO (open carry dot org) seems to have a quicker response time.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I would google the school and look up the student handbook. They most likely have a policy against firearms. However, having said that I think schools are considered weapon free zones unless you are simply dropping off or picking up students.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If a LEO can carry there why can't a citizen, aren't all laws suppose to be equal for everyone?
It's obvious that the no carry laws don't stop the BG's, so why stop the guy that is carrying legally?

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
I would google the school and look up the student handbook. They most likely have a policy against firearms. However, having said that I think schools are considered weapon free zones unless you are simply dropping off or picking up students.
Student (or faculty) rulebooks apply to those people, over whom the college has control. JMO, if the laws of the state otherwise allow carry on campus (not in dorms or classrooms) then other areas of the campus should be OK.

Of course, us profs can make any room into a "classroom" by the very act of teaching a class there. Heck, I've taught in the shade of the big ole tree outside my building. (You should feel sorry for the students that had to tote the chalkboard!)

·
Registered
670 Posts
As a Michigan resident I'm telling you the Michigan preemption does not include colleges. They have the power to create ordinaces to ban firearms on campus. If you were to get caught you could maybe make some argument that the community college can't ban firearms and must follow state law but you will probably lose. If you want to be 100% legal leave your gun at home or park off campus.

And LEO can carry nation wide, citizens can't. Unfortunately LEO and regular citizens aren't the same as far as where they can and can't carry.

EDIT: This a a post from "TheQ" from opencarry.org. He is not a lawyer, this is not legal advice this is just what many of us have found reguarding carry on campus in Michigan.
"In Michigan, Community College and Public Universities via their operating board have the power to pass ordinances -- much like any other local government (City, etc.) would. These ordinances are enforced the same was as they would be in a city. The University/College has a dedicated police force to their institution (often bearing said institution's name). These are sworn police officers that carry guns, handcuffs, often MiCOLES certified. These officers have arrest powers and can and will arrest anyone within their jurisdiction found to be violating the law (State Law of their local ordinances). People found to be in violation of the local ordinances are criminally taken (or civilly in the case of a civil infraction) to the local court and treated appropriately.

Now comes the question of MCL 123.1102, aka "preemption". MCL 123.1101 specifically spells out Cities, Townships, and Counties. It does not list community colleges and universities. Furthermore, unlike an "Authority" (See CADL) they weren't even brought into existence by a City, Township, or County. Universities have absolutely no legal affiliation with their host City, Township, or County. Therefore it could very easily be argued (and in front of Judge Aqualina of Ingham County) that Colleges/Universities do NOT fall under preemption. Therefore, the common wisdom (until we get preemption fixed) is that University ordinances ARE ENFORCEABLE and law abiding citizens should behave appropriately in this regard.

I hope this answers your question."
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?94171-Michigan-State-University-OC

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Student (or faculty) rulebooks apply to those people, over whom the college has control. JMO, if the laws of the state otherwise allow carry on campus (not in dorms or classrooms) then other areas of the campus should be OK.

Of course, us profs can make any room into a "classroom" by the very act of teaching a class there. Heck, I've taught in the shade of the big ole tree outside my building. (You should feel sorry for the students that had to tote the chalkboard!)
You are correct that the student handbook has authority on only those affiliated with the school, however Michigan CPL law requires us to honor any area declared no weapon zones. If the school has a no weapons policy, then it is essentially illegal to carry there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You are correct that the student handbook has authority on only those affiliated with the school, however Michigan CPL law requires us to honor any area declared no weapon zones. If the school has a no weapons policy, then it is essentially illegal to carry there.
Sort of. If you have a Michigan CPL and you open carry you can carry most anywhere in Michigan (all federal laws still apply). With a CPL you can carry in a school, day care, bar or tavern who primary income come from consumption on premises, a church, entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more, a hospital, and a dormitory or classroom. Just because you can legally here does not necessarily mean you will be able to. Comerica park isn't going to let you in and like I said earlier colleges can still make it a crime to carry there.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts