Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the BRD hit me and all my friends, its safe to say im going to have close to 5 ar's within my group of friends.

Whats the best place to go shooting at outdoors? Im willing to travel anywhere really, alpina, oscoda dont matter lol i love the outdoors, i mean i can go shoot at the locak gunrange, but i think with a AR it is way more funner to do some outdoor shooting. Anyone in Michigan know of any good places?

I know some people talk about the PIT but i think that is mostly for people with handguns?

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
there's an outdoor range over here in Allegan county. That's a tad far from you though

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really worried about how far it is haha, i jus wanna get the group of guys to all get like 500 rds each and all go out one day to have fun, maybe fishing afterwards

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There should be plenty of places to shoot in your area. Isn't Detroit supposed to become a ghost town soon? ;-)

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
If you want to have fun, join a club. I don't think you'll find any outdoor range in the lower half that allows rapid fire/full mags. Most are set up for hunters (read: sighting in).

Top Gun in Taylor is indoor but allows some rapid fire (3 round burst). Only 25 yards...it's OK for letting off steam and sighting in your 1x optics, that's about it.

I'm going to hopefully grab a membership at Livingston Gun Club in Brighton here soon. They have some WICKED 3-gun setups, and I'd like to eventually start running that. Once your a member they really don't care what you do on the ranges as long as you're safe and follow the range rules.

Do you post over at Michigan Gun Owners? Good group of people there...lots of good information as well.

You could also start moving North with a map showing state land...

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
as joey mentioned the state land, there is a place in almont, i have never been there. Its an out door state facility.

Ill dig it up for ya if thats not to far, chaldean. What part of detroit are you in? Detroit proper, or one of the burbs ?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks joey! ya im familiar with up north territory.. however i dont know how everything works?

is there areas in the woods designated? Can i just go out to nomansland and shoot?

I wana goto the woods and setup my own targets u know

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as joey mentioned the state land, there is a place in almont, i have never been there. Its an out door state facility.

Ill dig it up for ya if thats not to far, chaldean. What part of detroit are you in? Detroit proper, or one of the burbs ?
i live in southfield and also have an apartment in westbloomfield

u guys ever go salmon fishing? we could setup a fishing trip and go shooting one day

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I'm honestly not sure how it works on state land. From what I understand, you can target shoot on state land as long as you're following the usually hunting rules (don't shoot near a house/road, etc), and if you're out during hunting season I do think you need a license. I've only done it on private land so it wasn't a problem.

Never been salmon fishing, but I'd love to...my favorite fish to eat, and I do love fishing!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I've got the desert a hour east of me. Canyons, gullies, etc. Fun terrain.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol michigan is nowhere near a ocean ;x

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since the BRD hit me and all my friends, its safe to say im going to have close to 5 ar's within my group of friends.

Whats the best place to go shooting at outdoors? Im willing to travel anywhere really, alpina, oscoda dont matter lol i love the outdoors, i mean i can go shoot at the locak gunrange, but i think with a AR it is way more funner to do some outdoor shooting. Anyone in Michigan know of any good places?

I know some people talk about the PIT but i think that is mostly for people with handguns?
Family Shooters Coral in Eaton Rapids, south of Lansing. Pistol range with steel plates. Rifle range out to 300 yards. Rapid fire ok. CCW classes. Great people! All for $10 an hour(includes all the paper targets you can poke holes in).

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can target shoot an state lands but you have to have atleast a small game license. Also you should be shooting into some kind of backstop a hill or pile of dirt or the DNR can ticket you for unsafe shooting. With no backstop the DNR says it makes state land unsafe for others to use. That being said it is leagel but the DNR can make you stop at anytime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts