Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only owned plastic mags. Botach is running a 12 pack DPMS mil spec metal mags for $89.99 shipped

Input appreciated

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tks Iron. I also only use Magpul and Troy. Price seems nice for the metals. Can't ever have too many mags or Ammo right? :)

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just a warning that Botach has a reputation for hit or miss customer service. As in you could order these and not get a shipment or any e-mail responses for 4 months. Or you could get your item next week. Like I said, hit or miss.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have Magpul and Troy for polymer, have only had one hiccup with a Pmag(very well could have been weak ammo). I have a couple D&H,C Products and some other metal ones I leave loaded all the time. I've been more trusting of the Pmags being loaded all the time lately but make sure to use the dust covers.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I have successfully used USGI surplus steels, Brownells steels, Magpul P-mags (without windows) and Troy Battlemags

I now own 17 Pmags, and 2 Brownells Steels...the others were traded off for various reasons--none involving functionality

if the DPMS mags have an anti-tilt follower and a good spring I'd say it's worth a look...I have become something of a magazine snob lol

Also I have heard the same thing about the Botach Service...some guys have no issues and other nothing but issues...YMMV

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have P-mags and colt metal ones and that is it.

They all seem to run fine.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I run a mix of PMAGS and Brownells brand USGI aluminum mags and they both have run flawlessly in my Stag AR. Which ones I buy depends on which ones I can find cheaper. Brownells periodically has sales of their mags that will bring it to a price low enough to make it economical to buy their mags AND the magpul followers and swap those out, which I always do. I do not like the so-called anti-tilt green followers in them. They're better than the older generation ones, but I prefer the magpul design better. And for awhile Brownells mags were available when PMAGs were not.

Overall I say get which ever of the quality brands mentioned here you can afford cheapest and stock up on 'em. Magpul is probably my personal favorite due to reliablity, light weight, how smoothly they insert and drop out of the magwell, the ergos on the outside, and their very vocal and active defense of the 2A that led them to leave CO. That alone earns my support in addition to their quality. But Brownells or other USGIs are good too. Just make sure the followers are good and you're set.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great info. Really appreciated. I'm not that short on mags just caught my attention when I saw the Ad. I will stick to the Magpul's and keep my eyes open on Brownells.

Tks again

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a basic loads worth of Gen 2 Pmags. Got a new Troy Carbine and the Pmags are awful tight - so much so they do not drop free. I don't have any USGI, and now with CO's dumb law in place, I'm relegated to 10rd mags.

Any thoughts? Even the Troy battle mag is snug, but not nearly as bad as the Pmags.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I have a basic loads worth of Gen 2 Pmags. Got a new Troy Carbine and the Pmags are awful tight - so much so they do not drop free. I don't have any USGI, and now with CO's dumb law in place, I'm relegated to 10rd mags.

Any thoughts? Even the Troy battle mag is snug, but not nearly as bad as the Pmags.
Lightly sand around the Pmag to smooth it out and thin it just enough to drop free. Do so at your own risk but this is what I would do.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I had my Gen2 P-mag bulge and jam-up on me. That kind of soured me on them. I was about to buy a 10 pack of them when it happened. Instead I went with metal mags. I may buy more p-mags int he future, but I was looking for storage mags when it happened. I won't be using plastic for storage.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts

I think I'd look into getting a new lower before modding irreplaceable mags.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I think I'd look into getting a new lower before modding irreplaceable mags.
Look to see where the contact points are. You may have to cycle the mags to find it. (reloading drill practice). Then i would lightly sand those areas.

PSA sells lowers for as low as $50. You may decide that is a better option than potentially ruining an endangered species magazine.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I use mag pul and metal. Of course aluminum is lighter, add the anti tilt follower, that is a must. Never had a jam running wet with either type using Magpuls anti til followers. They are a must!!!!

Actually, Magpul mags are designed for storing ammo with the dust cover that attaches to the mouth of the mag, they keep tension off the feed lips when loaded up with ammo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts