Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to strip my coating off the side of my hammer to give it a silver metallic finish. Same for the recoil spring plug and the hammer.
All are flat black finish that comes on the RIA GI 1911
What is the harm or possible bad side effects?

Just clean good and keep oiled?
Coat with a clear coat of some kind?
Dip in some kind of antirust treatment?

:confused:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
For many years, all Colt 1911 barrels came bright and they were not stainless. If you kept them oiled...they never rusted. My 73 Combat Commander's barrel has never shown a spec of rust.

My TLE II also has a bright steel barrel that is not stainless and it has never rusted.

I keep both of those 1911 barrels coated with Blue Armadillo, though.

I have seen barrels left bright, rust, but it is a sign of neglect....if you do not coat it and carry it alot...it will show rust.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know about neglect. Bad bad thing. :evil:

Nice to know you've had yours for a while without the rust. I use an oil rag daily on my carry and at least once a week on every pistol.

Good to know. I'll give it a shot.

Another question was about the stainless steel at the muzzle and on the stainless triggers. They tend to show a bit of darkness after a while.
I'm assuming that's powder and oil working into the structure of the metal.

Some very fine grade steel wool or such can polish that up or will it scratch that beyond repair?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You can polish stainless or carbon steels back to bright, using #0000 steel wool or Flitz metal polish.

I really don't worry about surface wear or scratches and worry more about function of my 1911s. All of mine have some worn edges or a scratch here and there. They're working guns...not range or safe queens. I don't beat them up like I do the Glocks, but I don't treat them like they are made of glass, either.

I look at honest wear on a 1911 like I do a nice faded pair of jeans - honest wear shows character and is comfortable.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, my kimber is my carry but I lilke it nice and pretty.
It has wear marks. But I treat it like a lady.
I treat all of mine that way though, even my project RIA GI 1911...

I think I have 1911 fever as well....

·
Registered
44 Posts
What stainless steel at the muzzel? the most common stainless at the muzzel is the barrel bushing or steel in the white (not finished) the barrel is either steel or stainless, and I have never seen a stainless trigger, have seen alot of aluminum triggers. But anyway a consistant application of breakfree clp should do the trick if the Armadillo is not handy. Charlie

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What stainless steel at the muzzel? the most common stainless at the muzzel is the barrel bushing or steel in the white (not finished) the barrel is either steel or stainless, and I have never seen a stainless trigger, have seen alot of aluminum triggers. But anyway a consistant application of breakfree clp should do the trick if the Armadillo is not handy. Charlie

My bad. I notice on stainless type slides the muzzle flash blackens the end of the slide. Does on the parkerized as well, but it's just not as noticable.
You can wipe it off easy, CLP sits on it for a bit, then wipe it off good, lube lightly with an oil rag, but still on the hammer and slide, you'll see the darkening after a bit.

Also, I stand corrected, aluminum trigger, not stainless. I like that color better than the black usually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts