Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only shot brass casings and was wondering if the XDM 45 has any problems with shooting metal casings? I can get a fairly good deal on metal casings. Just wanted to check before I go drop money on something that wont shoot.:oops:

·
Registered
786 Posts
brass is a metal do you mean Steel. or Aluminum?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
There's nothing wrong with steel cased ammo, it shoots fine.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
IMHO I don't like steel because I can't reload it. Other than that, it shoots just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You everyone for your help. Im new to shooting pistols and just wanted to check because I have heard mixed things on steel ammo. Im also new to this forum and its great. So much knowledge and information on these post.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
That seems to be the last resort of anybody putting down steel ammo. It's dirty, how exactly does one measure dirtyness? Is there some chart? I don't find wolf, monarch or any other steel cased ammo any "dirtier" than WWB and personally I don't care if my gun gets dirty when shooting it. If I didn't want it to get dirty I wouldn't shoot it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It's dirty, how exactly does one measure dirtyness?
My measure of dirtiness is derived from the difficulty and time consumed to clean the firearm. I found Wolf left me with a lot more dirty t-shirt patches that the Remington or WWB I've fired.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I don't time my self when cleaning my gun and it's never taken my but a 10 min to do so.
I had a conversation with gunshop employee once here's how it went.

Him: That ammo is steel cased it will ruin your gun.
Me: No it won't
His Boss: No it won't

Him: The ammo is corrosive.
Me: No it's not.
His Boss: No it's not.

Him: (with a disgusted look on his face) Well it's dirty.
His Boss: :rolleyes: Just rolled his eyes.
Me: :rolleyes: I don't mind cleaning my guns. All ammo make my guns dirty.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Even if it is "dirty" as agalindo said, who cares? Maybe it takes an extra patch....whoopity do. Its not like its a dirty prostitute that gives a "gift" that keeps coming back......once you wash the dirt off, its gone.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If you like wolf; go for it. I'm sure there is nothing dangerous about it. I just prefer other factory ammo. I did note though, that my front sight was covered with soot rather quickly when I did shoot it on the range.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Him: (with a disgusted look on his face) Well it's dirty.
His Boss: :rolleyes: Just rolled his eyes.
Me: :rolleyes: I don't mind cleaning my guns. All ammo make my guns dirty.

Me: It may be dirty, but at least it's not stupid...

Biggest knock against the Russian ammo is it smells funky and you can't reload. That's not much of an issue as the cost of reloading is near to the cost of the cheap steel case ammo. (unless you cast your own bullets from gifted tire weight lead or similar)

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
My gun cleans up just fine after running steel cased ammo. Besides I like to know my XD will eat anything and keep going bang. Even the "dirty" stuff.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I had very bad luck with Herters Steel cased ammo, very sticky in the clips, lots of failure to feed in my xdm .40 3.8. Everything else is butter.
Probably be cause you are using clips instead of magazines :) ;) :)

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Damn. I was doing so well on getting that out of my vocabulary. But seriously. Take what I wrote before and replace the word clips with magazines... that was my experience.
Sorry, I just had to do it. We all know what people mean, but some yhave this internal flame thrower for perfectionism of terminology. Doesn't actually bother me, but its fun razzin people when it won't do any harm IMHO............

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.