Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the gunshow this weekend looking to pick up a couple of stripped lowers. I was really suprised that I only saw a few. I found a CMMG stripped lower for $119.95, offered the guy $100 cash, no sale. They wouldn't budge, I even asked for a deal if I bought the only two they had. So I ended up just buying the one, they even taxed me. I think it was a pretty good deal though.

I ordered a DPMS LPK through Midwayusa. They've got 'em on sale for $47.99 right now.

Looking forward to my first build. Watching the EE forum on AR15.com like a crack addict. I haven't shot a AR style rifle since I had my M4 while in the Army ... 11 years ago.

I'm not going to post pictures since everyone knows what a stipped lower looks like!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That is a fair price for the CMMG lower which is one of the best on the market as far as I am concerned. They retail for around $150 for the stripped lower, so you actually did well for yourself even with paying tax, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
most dealers would have no reason to deal down, there is frenzy buying before the election. Houston Gun Show this past weekend was PACKED

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
What are you planning on putting on top of that lower? Matching uppers and lowers sure are nice! :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you planning on putting on top of that lower? Matching uppers and lowers sure are nice! :lol:
I've been looking at the CMMG uppers. They look pretty nice and the price is right. Plus the http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/59069-so-you-want-buy-ar-15-faqs.html thread shows that they're good quality. Since this is my first build and there are so many options I'm still trying to decide on what to do. I'm trying to take it slow and watch for good deals on used stuff from this forum and AR15.com. But taking it slow is proving a little difficult ... seems like I've now got the black rifle disease ....

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I've been looking at the CMMG uppers. They look pretty nice and the price is right. Plus the http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/59069-so-you-want-buy-ar-15-faqs.html thread shows that they're good quality. Since this is my first build and there are so many options I'm still trying to decide on what to do. I'm trying to take it slow and watch for good deals on used stuff from this forum and AR15.com. But taking it slow is proving a little difficult ... seems like I've now got the black rifle disease ....

I hear ya man. The article you linked to is one of the main reasons I went with CMMG. If you don't want to deal with the wait ordering directly from CMMG, I suggest getting your CMMG upper from AIMSurplus, your home for surplus ammunition, guns and firearms.

Here is mine, both upper and lower are CMMG:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick question regarding buttstocks. I see the Magpul CTR requires a mil-spec carbine-length extension tube, buffer, and spring. If I buy just an extension tube does it have to be of the 5 position variety or will any extension tube work? Or does it being labeled as a carbine-length extension tube mean it will already have the 5 position portion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Magpul makes a CTR in both a mil-spec tube diameter and a commercial tube diameter. Which ever tube you buy, you can but the CTR that matches up.

As for the buffer tube itself...yes, you need a carbine, 5-pos. buffer tube. Bravo Company and other places offer a full kit that includes the buffer tube, spring, buffer, etc. in both Mil-spec and Commercial. See here:

Stock Hardware Mounting Kit (Mil-Spec)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts