Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lou Cifer! The evilest AK I'll probably ever own!

The base gun is a 2007 GP WASR 10/63. Everything on it seems more refined and better put together than my old 2000 SAR-3. I went with the ACE folder 8.5" with 0.5" rubber buttpad. I used the internal receiver block (cut the rear tang off). The stock stays in place, and yanking on it doesn't allow it to deploy. I've got to put a little upward pressure on it with my thumb to deploy the stock. I'm diggin it! Of course, the elusive Samson rail. Lots of folks have badmouthed this rail, primarily because of the price. I got a STEAL on the rail, and it is the very reason this project happened. Otherwise, I'd have stuck with my ebony stained furniture.

I'm sure there'll be haters out there. What A S*itty Rifle...Craptical, "Remove the tactical accessories immediately" etc...Be gone! I saw a similar setup at SHOT Show a few years back at the Arsenal booth. I don't think Arsenal ever offered the rifle, and if they did, I wasn't going to pay the $1300 for it. Both the stock and the railed forend required mods to the rifle. Removal of the rear tang, and cutting offf the front sling loop on the lower handguard retainer. Why the WASR? Well, you don't go hacking up an Arsenal, do you? I've got less in this rifle right now than the cost of the basic "no-frills" boutique builds from the better known AK builders out there. THAT'S why! :D

This rifle is going to be getting duracoat woodland tan with black accents very soon. This rifle will make a great camping companion, or for when I'm travelling through the more backwoods parts of Florida. I plan to try out my Burris Fastfire on the rail, to see how that works out. I'll use the lower rail for a light, and I am considering using a TLR-1 that I have on hand. I got into this for cheap, so why go pouring more and more money into it!?

My photos always suck b/c my camera won't take a decent pic unless the flash is on. Automatic apertures suck, what can I say. Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
127,076 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
337 Posts
friggin' awesome dude, you should bring it to Lakeland this weekend to shoot...

·
Registered
446 Posts
2007 GP WASR 10/63. Everything on it seems more refined and better put together
"Refined" and "WASR" is a strange combination. I got one, ain't getting rid of it, but I wouldn't by any means call it refined.

Yours is cool though.

The stock folds to the left -- would it interfere with a side mounted optic mount?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
real AK side folders, (except the wire ones) fold to the left. its a quick release style optics mount.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Refined" and "WASR" is a strange combination. I got one, ain't getting rid of it, but I wouldn't by any means call it refined.

Yours is cool though.

The stock folds to the left -- would it interfere with a side mounted optic mount?
Well, "more" refined is the key word here. ;) For example, the bolt and bolt carrier are nice and smooth and have a nice blued finish, whereas my older SAR looked like it was used to fend off an angry beaver attack!

The stock (when folded) doesn't make direct contact with the receiver. Unfortunately, I don't know how far out the side mounts protrude on optics like the Kobra, or the rail, etc. It might work, but without having a side mount rail to play with, I can't be 100% sure.

I'd like to find a nice grip too, but I'm not happy with what I've seen from ATI, CAA, etc. Maybe the Ace Galil style grip would be nice, or maybe an Ergo grip. I haven't made up my mind yet. Truth is, the skinny factory grip doesn't bother me at all!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I like it! Sounds like it's going to look great when the duracoat job is done. I was thinking of a different grip for my WASR but I'm fine with the stock grip so why change. I'd love to have a really nice expensive AK but the truth is the only problem I'm having with my WASR is getting it to stop eating ammo.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's gotta be a BI*CH to remove and clean out the piston tube (I know it's an AK and doesn't need cleaning ;-))
Since very little has been reported about this rail system in the online community, I'll inform the bunch that the top rail is only a few screw turns away from removal. It is secured to the bottom rail in a sliding, interlocking system (not a one-piece deal) and it can be removed fairly easily, provided I have the allen wrench that I stowed away in my butt stock....wait a minute...range bag/ pokcet/bug-out-bag/ truck tool box :D

It's not as bad as it looks. It really is a genius system. Plus, I figure I'll clean it every 1,000 rounds whether it needs it or not :lol:

Yeah, this isn't an AK for peasants in the field who are equipped with only a bayonet and a loin cloth...

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Yeah, this isn't an AK for peasants in the field who are equipped with only a bayonet and a loin cloth...
Yeah, as in the 'average' person that knows naught about guns...2 hours later, after an in depth training session, they become a very formidable force.:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts