Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got my 2 18rd mec-gar mags(pistolgear.com). Initially they seem like great high quality mags. Then the problem shows itself.

I have 2 and both mags empty or full interfere with the slide lock. As you push the mag in you can see the slide lock lifting up as the mag makes contact with it. When releasing the mag it doesnt drop out. It takes a Lot of force on the mag release button then I have to pull the mag out forcefully. I actually have to change my grip and almost use both hands to press the mag release(I do not have girly hands either) left or right side. You can hear a click indicating the mag is released then I have to pry the mag out. With the mag in and trying to lock the slide back it takes again a Lot of force to raise the slide catch as its in contact with the mag.

So needless to say Im extremely disappointed. I have 10rd and 16rd springfield mags and no problems at all with them releasing or making contact empty or full.

I havent had any shooting time and not sure if they will break in or not. I played around with them for a while putting the mag in/out a good 200 times and had no change at all.

My xd service is unaltered in any way and well cleaned/oiled, again with no other problems with other mags.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also something noteworthy as I was just messing with it again.

With the slide locked back, insert the mag empty or full, pull the slide back slightly, the slide lock doesnt drop out of the way. The mag is keeping the slide lock pressed up holding the slide locked.

Same procedure with a springfield mag, pull the slide back and the slide lock drops right out of the way.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have 2 for my XD9 service that work flawlessly, and drop out with gravity. I would get a hold of Mec-Gar and see if they will trade them out for you. I can't remember the duration, but they do have a good warranty. Here is their info.

MEC-GAR USA, INC.
905 Middle Street
Middletown, CT 06457

Phone: (860) 635-1525
(800) 632-4271
Fax: (860) 635-1712
E-mail:[email protected]

·
Registered
902 Posts
I tried them, fit an SC ok, but too tight to drop free. They interfered with the slide lock on a 2nd gen HS2K b/c they need to cut some material from the leading edge of mag where slide lock resides. Returned to vendor & replaced with SA mags.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I tried them, fit an SC ok, but too tight to drop free. They interfered with the slide lock on a 2nd gen HS2K b/c they need to cut some material from the leading edge of mag where slide lock resides. Returned to vendor & replaced with SA mags.
That sounds like my problem then.

I just was given this link how to fix them, not sure if I want to try. If I try it and cant get it to work then theres no way Ill be abe to return them all sanded down ha.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
The issue is strange, as we have tested several of these mags in a few XDs that we have in the shop and we don't experience any of the issues. I don't know if it is matter of the mags or that fact that no two XD are the same in the way of tolerances.

OS

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres some pics to hopefully show whats going on. Comparing to an SA 16rd mag. All the contact is happening with the mag(metal) not the follower. If I hold the slide lock up out of the way, the mag works perfectly and drops free with gravity. The part circled is whats coming in contact and Im afraid if grinding that away will only ruin the mag.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Exactly. I'd have taken pics but mine were sent back 10 days ago.

Heres some pics to hopefully show whats going on. Comparing to an SA 16rd mag. All the contact is happening with the mag(metal) not the follower. If I hold the slide lock up out of the way, the mag works perfectly and drops free with gravity. The part circled is whats coming in contact and Im afraid if grinding that away will only ruin the mag.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
It seems to be a dimensional issue, hence the reason why it is an issue on only some XDs. If you can close in that fin, you are good to go, as long as the fin clears the gun and does not touch the follower.

OS

·
Registered
408 Posts
hey i was the one who posted that write-up. I had forgotten to mention i clearanced the areas above with some very light dremel work. My mags do their job inside the gun so they dont need to be pretty. And at $24 a pop it wouldnt be worth it to send em anywhere.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just checked my mags and there are exactly like yours and like I said before they work fine. My slide stop lines up exactly in the middle of the notch in the mag, so there is no rubbing there. My XD9 is brand new. I wonder if the slide stop itself is slightly different on older ones. Maybe see if SA will send you a new one for free and see if they are different or if that fixes it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I decided to try and make them work rather than sending them back. I tried pliers to bend the corner(circled in the pic) outward to clear the slide lock. It wouldnt bend and I couldnt get any leverage without the risk of bending other parts of the mag.

So, got the dremel going and cut off wheel and slowly start to grind away that area. I took it real slow, grind then test a few times until I got it to where I needed it. Now it locks the slide when empty and drops free with gravity while empty. Everything seems fine now but Ill find out when I got shooting I guess. Ill try to post a picture side by side with the other mec-gar before I dremel that one too just for anyone with this problem to have something to compare with.

I still like the mags alot, the black anti-friction, 18rds, 17 visual holes, larger base for my pinky, in stock and good price. Also pistolgear.com is great, offering a full refund if I wanted so no problems there. I just really wanted the mags to work rather than refund though ;)

I also emailed mec-gar about the problem, maybe they will respond or fix the problem for future mags.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When compared to the factories, the notch is smaller on the Mec-Gars. I'm not really sure why they did this, but obviously an easy fix for those that do have a problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same problem on my XD9 service manufactured in 2005. Every clip I would have 1 or 2 times the slide would lock back before empty. They didn't have a problem dropping free, however. I took a dremel and removed a small amount of material from the area indicated on the magazine to clear the slide stop tab and it seems to function perfectly now.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I use Mec-Gars in all my Sigs.
I prefer them over the stock mags.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use Mec-Gars in all my Sigs.
I prefer them over the stock mags.......:rolleyes:
good one.

I have 2 18rder's and both function flawlessly in my Service and Sub-Compact. Though the extended pinky stop on the base pad is something to get used to.
-Thomas

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tried some ProMags for my XD40 and they actually expand outward when loaded full.

I normally take all my mags and run then through the gun, number them, and then look for problems. The only thing I found with the promag, it doe not go in as slick, but when empty, falls free. I bought XD mags for all my XD's.

Just worth the extra money and GunBroker usually has some good deals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This discussion is about Mec-Gar mags, not ProMags, which are junk IMO.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Does anyone else have an issue with the mag release when it's fully loaded? With 18 in the magazine the button rattles and will not release til I chamber one. If I'm carrying 19 I have to eject a round to make it drop. Other than that it functions great and looks good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts