Mec-Gar has 18 round magazines for XD.
Have any of you tried them?
Are they reliable?
Would you recommend them?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
332 Posts
After reading good reviews from various sources, I decided to purchase TEN Mec-Gar 18-round magazines for the Springfield XD. Unfortunately, I can only rate them 2 out of 5 stars for the following reasons. The empty magazines would NOT drop when the mag release button was depressed. Additionally, when a loaded magazine was inserted and the slide was pulled back manually, the slide release lever would NOT disengage. The only way to release the slide was to manually force the slide release down with the thumb and even THAT required an unrealistic amount of force to release the slide. Yes, I know that many gun owners release the slide by pushing down the slide release lever, but for various reasons I teach using the overhand method of pulling the slide. This will work on every pistol unless there is a problem, like this one.

The problem I found on ALL TEN Mec-Gar magazines is that the slot at the top of the mag to accommodate the slide release lever is 2mm TOO NARROW and binds on the mag release lever. I had to use a Dremel tool to grind on all ten magazines to widen the slot so that they no longer bind on the slide release lever. Now, all 10 magazines work and feed as intended.

Mec-Gar needs to look at OEM magazines to see that their own mag release slot is too narrow.

See attached pictures.

I recommend them ONLY if you are willing and able to modify them as shown in the attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I Have 7 of the 18 round Mecgar's and they have been 100% but like Ray says you may have to modify yours. Mine have functioned flawlessly with out modification, but the tolerances are tight. The OEM mags have plenty of room front and back for the slide stop engagement tab, while the Mecgars are tighter in the front, on my XD9 the slide stop tab comes close to touching the Mecgar magazine tube.

OEM

MECGAR

Any mags i purchase in the future will most likely be OEMs.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
all I needed to know...the additional capacity isn't worth the trouble--I will spend the extra few $ and buy an additional SA oem

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Ditto

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Scheels in Coralville has the exact same price on their factory mags as SA Webiste...tax is cheaper than shipping!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've got 10 I believe. They are all I run in my 5". I love them. They're a little longer than factory mags, but I've got a magwell on my gun do it works out quite well. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
332 Posts
MidwayUSA has the 16-round OEM magazines for the XD Sub-Compact in stock and on sale for $22.50 each.

Springfield Armory Mag Springfield XD Sub-Compact 9mm Luger 16-Round

That is LESS than their price for the Full-Size magazine without the grip sleeve. If you have the full size pistol, you can simply slide OFF the sleeve and you are good to go. You can always sell the sleeve and recover some of your cost.

Springfield Armory Mag Springfield XD 9mm Luger SS

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Well, looks like the sale on the sub-compact magazines at MidwayUSA is now over. Their price just went up to $33.99 each. Oh, well! :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
During that "Gun Scare" last year after the election I got a XD-9
but only found 2 Mec-Gar mags; both have worked flawlessly...
I use those black mags for my self-defense ammo and the OEM
sliver ones for practice; perhaps I reverse that arrangement after
seeing these reports and fully test them out for this issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I bought some 14 round mecgar mags for my XD 40 Tactical to run an Instructor's course with. Turns out that they fail to feed some brands of ammo. I ended up having to trade my case of ammo with another shooter. When I got home I reprofiled the feed lip cuts to match the angle of the stock mags. It took about 3 minutes per magazine and while I don't like having to make new gear work, the black finish and extra round is worth the effort. In fact I've bought 3 more knowing that I was going to have to modify them. After the reprofiling, they've all been flawless and cycle anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts