Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a question on this site a few weeks back about my XD and that the trigger may be causing me some inaccuracy at the range. Well, i took a professional lesson from an instructor to improve my skills. I started out with my other 9mm Single Action (Brand not to be disclosed), which i was accurate. then the XD which was all over the target. It turns out i just needed to get used the trigger and the action of the gun. At the end of one hour i was in the red on the silohette target.

A couple observations, when pulling the trigger the gun wants to twist and requires a much more definate grip with both hands using your left hand fore finger to keep the gun straight. (you know what i am talking about). I found i was also pulling the trigger with the middle of my finger and not the top of my finger (above the knuckle). Keeping your trigger arm straight is key as well.

one other observation, the manual says the sights are at a 6 o'clock setting. i found this NOT to be true. I was shooting low until i started aiming directly thru the sights. all shooting was done at 15 ft and 25 feet.

This is a great site for info, and thanks to all that gave advice to my problem.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The 6 o'clock thingy is probably depending on what bullet weight you shoot.

I know for a fact, that my XD-40 Service shoots dead-on 6 o'clock with 180 grainers. It will throw the 165s a bit higher.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Semi,

glad to hear you got straitned out. just remember... what works for you may not work for someone else, and this also applies to the "profesional trainer". i'm not doubting his profesionalism, but i am doubting that what works for him will work the same way for you. obviously what he tought you worked but dont close you mind to other options.

the best way to really learn and become proficient is to learn from more than one trainer, with more than one method, and apply what works the best for you from all of them.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
semi said:
one other observation, the manual says the sights are at a 6 o'clock setting. i found this NOT to be true. I was shooting low until i started aiming directly thru the sights. all shooting was done at 15 ft and 25 feet.
For reference, the direct quote from the manual is:
Springfield Armory pistols are designed to use the “6 o’clock” sight picture at 25 yards. However, some pistols may shoot “point of aim” at 25 yards depending on shooter and ammunition.
Dependent on where the POI curve crosses the straight line POA, it is entirely possible to have POI = POA at 5 to 8.3 yards, with 6 o'clock working out at 25 yards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts