Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the fact it's one of the more accurate pistols I own, I've been less than thrilled with the accuracy of my XDm40 compared to what Springfield quoted it at. Until today. I decided to give it another chance. I took 4 different boxes of ammo, my XDm and determination to the range with me today. Everything else stayed at home.

Other than the fact that it was hot, it was a great day to shoot. I set up at 10 yards and did some slow fire to get into the swing. Immediately, it felt like something was different. The trigger didn't feel as horrid as I remember, and the sights didn't look like they were made from Play-Doh. I jumped right into running 5 shot groups from each box of ammo. Some of the better targets:

10yds, slow fire, unsupported standing, practice:

10yds, slow fire, unsupported standing, 5 round groups:

After I was satisfied at 10 yds, I moved it back to 15 yards...

15yds, slow fire, unsupported standing, 5 round groups:

Finally, I moved back to 25 yards:

25yds, slow fire, unsupported standing, fun times:

I have to say, overall I'm quite pleased. Not all of my targets looked like these, but they were close enough that I'm going to keep my XDm. I had given some thought to trading it off for a compact or something else, but now I think I'll get it a new trigger and new sights and use it in IDPA. :cool:

I'm thinking that because I almost always start out with one or more 1911s and the XDm takes a back seat, it has been neglected. By the time I get to shooting the XDm, I'm ready for some defensive style shooting.

On a less than positive note, I had my first and only FTF today using Remington UMC. Also, the slide wasn't locking back on nearly every empty mag. Maybe worn mag springs? I'm hoping it's just the ammo it doesn't like, but either way it's being taken out of carry duties until it starts acting right.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice shooting. My guess is that since you took time with your XD, you got accustomed to the trigger. As far as the slide not locking back, it could be the mags, but probably your thumb riding the release. If you usually shoot 1911's you are probably gripping high, which brings the thumb in contact with the release. Just a little pressure can prevent the slide from locking.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice shooting. My guess is that since you took time with your XD, you got accustomed to the trigger. As far as the slide not locking back, it could be the mags, but probably your thumb riding the release. If you usually shoot 1911's you are probably gripping high, which brings the thumb in contact with the release. Just a little pressure can prevent the slide from locking.
I spent a lot of time dry firing before this trip, just to make sure I couldn't blame the trigger pull this time around. I'd almost guarantee that made the difference.

Thanks for the input on the slide release. If only it were so easy. ;) I had a guy next to me shooting Glocks and an XD that suggested the same thing. On my XDm I keep my thumb in the groove just above the mag release for this very reason. Not only does it keep it out of the way, but it makes for smoother reloads.

I just finished cleaning and when I pulled the mags apart there was very little tension from the springs. I do keep them fully loaded at all times, so maybe I need to start rotating them. I've heard it's worse to keep compressing the springs over and over again. I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert on the science of springs though. :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I spent a lot of time dry firing before this trip, just to make sure I couldn't blame the trigger pull this time around. I'd almost guarantee that made the difference.

Thanks for the input on the slide release. If only it were so easy. ;) I had a guy next to me shooting Glocks and an XD that suggested the same thing. On my XDm I keep my thumb in the groove just above the mag release for this very reason. Not only does it keep it out of the way, but it makes for smoother reloads.

I just finished cleaning and when I pulled the mags apart there was very little tension from the springs. I do keep them fully loaded at all times, so maybe I need to start rotating them. I've heard it's worse to keep compressing the springs over and over again. I'm afraid I'm not much of an expert on the science of springs though. :D
I have mags from the 90's that are still using the original springs. Some of the mags have remained loaded for YEARS while others have been used for thousands of rounds. the possibility of you wearing out your XDM mag springs is pretty low. I would go shoot the gun until empty using left hand only and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
127,714 Posts
If you decide not to keep it mail it to me. Of course, I will pay S&H! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts

I have had my XD 45 now for 5 years all my mags stay "real world" ready loaded to the brim. Just in case the tree of liberty needs to shed some blood.:D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have mags from the 90's that are still using the original springs. Some of the mags have remained loaded for YEARS while others have been used for thousands of rounds. the possibility of you wearing out your XDM mag springs is pretty low. I would go shoot the gun until empty using left hand only and see what happens.
One of my friends who is a lefty shot it as well. Still didn't lock back. I eliminated the possibility that I just had my fat thumb on the release, trust me. ;)

I'm not saying it has to be the magazines, just what I have already ruled out. I know standard procedure says blame the shooter first and foremost, but I'm not new to this stuff guys. :cool:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
On a less than positive note, I had my first and only FTF today using Remington UMC. Also, the slide wasn't locking back on nearly every empty mag. Maybe worn mag springs? I'm hoping it's just the ammo it doesn't like, but either way it's being taken out of carry duties until it starts acting right.
Remington UMC is shït. I had 2 yes TWO detonations with umc in my m1 carbine. had to have the extractor and firing pin replaced. I also had a det with it in my XD40. Remington's Ammo QC has gone downhill. I won't even buy golden sabres.

Avoid it at all costs. Its shït ammo.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
One of my friends who is a lefty shot it as well. Still didn't lock back. I eliminated the possibility that I just had my fat thumb on the release, trust me. ;)

I'm not saying it has to be the magazines, just what I have already ruled out. I know standard procedure says blame the shooter first and foremost, but I'm not new to this stuff guys. :cool:
never meant to imply you were a noob but 95% of the time when someone on here says their slide didn't lock back, it was shooter error. I'm far from an inexperienced shooter as well but have locked the slide back on my Sig before during a match. I'm so experienced I thought there was no way it was possibly human error :shock:.

If the left front corner of your mag gets bent slightly in, it will block the follower from going up high enough to activate the slide lock lever as well. Check your mags for this being the case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts