Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching pistol competition and the .40 s&w seems to be the overwhelming favorite cartridge.

People are using it to make minor and major power factor,I guess what I am trying to get at is what advantages does the .40 s&w offer over the .45 acp?

I shot my 1st competition this summer and used my xd 45 tactical with no problems,however,most of the other shooters recommended the .40 s&w.

In .40's I have xd 40 service,xd 40 tactical and xdm 40 bi-color.

In .45's I have xd 45 tactical, springfield 1911 and colt series 80 1911.

Like I said,I just don't see what advantages the .40 offers over the .45 for competition,but of course,I am probably missing something.

Sorry about the dumb question.:???:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'm guessing some people find it easier to conrol the recoil of a 40 over a 45. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing some people find it easier to conrol the recoil of a 40 over a 45. Just my $0.02
Thanks!
That very well could be,but at least to me the recoil of the .45 acp is alot more pleasant than the recoil of the .40.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
From what I understand...The people that shoot aaalllooottt of competition prefer the 40 for being easier to control and less punishing on the wrist over time. I have shot 45 and don't see much difference in recoil, but not 1000 rounds at a time or a week, personally I shoot 9mm mainly due to cost of ammo since I don't reload, yet.Feel free to correct me guys, as I know you will...:lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I understand...The people that shoot aaalllooottt of competition prefer the 40 for being easier to control and less punishing on the wrist over time.
But in my experience I have found no difference in recoil between a .40 180 grain at 960fps and a .45 185 at 960fps,other than the .40 recoil seemed "snappier" where as the .45 recoil was a "push":???:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Actually, a lot of shooters prefer the .45 over the .40, myself included.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The .40 is easily loaded down or up for major/minor and using fast powders, you can really control the recoil impulse. .40 bullets are also cheaper when reloading.

The .45 can easily make major but to hit minor, you really have to slow it down, .45 bullets are more expensive too. Mag capacity and gun designs will allow you to easily shoot major/minor, production, limited-10 or limited, all with the same gun when chambered in .40.

I prefer to shoot single stack with a .45 and the other divisions with a .40.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The .40 is easily loaded down or up for major/minor and using fast powders, you can really control the recoil impulse. .40 bullets are also cheaper when reloading.

The .45 can easily make major but to hit minor, you really have to slow it down, .45 bullets are more expensive too. Mag capacity and gun designs will allow you to easily shoot major/minor, production, limited-10 or limited, all with the same gun when chambered in .40.

I prefer to shoot single stack with a .45 and the other divisions with a .40.
Ohhh ok!
That makes alot of sense!
I have tried loading my .45's down to minor but have ran into cycling problems at minor,possibly I didn't go to a low enough recoil spring.

However,with all 3 of my xd 40's (service,tactical,and xdm bi-color) I have had no problems what so ever with cycling with a minor or major load.

One other question,I have heard that major is 175 and also have heard that it was lowered to 165. Please set me straight on that:oops:.

You people here are GREAT!
Thanks to everyone here for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts