Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I may be able to get a 1911 for Christmas this year!

yeah i know its far away, BUT i figured I'd start looking now and figure out what I want and whats a good fit for me. I cannot justify a kimber because i am a casual shooter. im thinking the ruger sr1911 would be a cool choice but i dont like the beaver tail being black and the rest being stainless. just looks kinda strange to me. i thought the SA GI would be fun too but idk. ive read a lot of people with mixed experiences with the tauras pt1911 and idk if anything new has changed with that. the s&w ones are pretty expensive and id feel like an jerk asking for something like that.

ive also considered the sig 1911-22 too, costs way less and i can shoot the snot out of it and not bust the bank. i wouldnt want one in 9mm (kinda defeats the purpose imo, and ive enjoyed shooting .45 when i have haha).

anyway the idea of having a 1911 is so damn exciting! especially since i watched the a team recently and hannibal totes around a 1911 and it just makes me want one more haha.

any suggestions and guidance is always appreciated/wanted!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
RIA Tactical 5'' 1911

I have the 4'' mil-spec version and LOVE the thing. Great shooter. They wont break the bank, and will run reliably.

Had the choice to get a Taurus 1911 or the RIA. Chose the RIA and havent looked back since.

Dont worry. Once you get one 1911... you will want another. And another. And another..... It never ends:twisted:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Just got my first one and Im already looking for my second. I got a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 and next I do believe is a Springfield Loaded Champion .45.

What price range you looking at? There are tons of options, all shapes and sizes. Go handle as many of them as you can.

And just because you are a casual shooter doesnt mean you cant have a Kimber. I am and I got one. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see the thing is idk what my ceiling would be but i dont want to be a turd and ask for a 2k gun.

ive shot an STI spartan at a local range and i liked it a lot. i dont think i want to go beyond a thousand. at least not on my first one, especially since its going to be a gift. i think realisticallly id ask for something 800 or less.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1K gets you a Kimber Custom II and 500 or so rounds of ammo, or a RIA and GSG 1911. So thats a nice 1911 in .22 and .45, or a really nice 1911 in .45.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Go with a Colt, Springfield or STI and you won't be unhappy. If you want to go even cheaper the RIA, American Classic and ATI guns are all very nice for a very low price. With the difference in price maybe you could get into reloading to offset the cost of shooting it. That's a better option than going with a 22lr if you ask me.

If you don't plan on carrying the thing get a Springfield Range Officer. Very accurate and a very nice range only gun. It has everything you need and nothing you don't.

For $800 or less you do have quite a few choices, and most of them are going to be good choices. Me personally, I'd stay away from Kimber, Taurus and Para. Those are the the ones I've had bad experiences with. Others may feel differently, but they aren't getting my money. :)

If you decide to get up around $1k or a little more, skip Kimber and take a look at the Springfield TRP. Best gun in it's price range in my opinion.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I started with a ss champion and havent looked back...i love it so much i want 8 of em..wish i could get a 1911 for cristmas i would fire a load in me pants

1 - 7 of 7 Posts