Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just want to know the difference between the Match Barrel and Drop-in barrel? I'm new in guns so I'm still learning a lot of stuff. I have a XD-40 Service model, and still trying to decide if I should put a match barrel or not. thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
a drop in barrel will just drop in and should need little to no fitting...a match grade barrel will need to be fitted to your gun

·
Vendor
776 Posts
A match barrel needs to be fit to your pistol. This gives you the most accuracy out of your pistol and barrel. Assuming that the fitting was done correctly. A "drop in" or semi drop in barrel may still need some slight fitting and should give you a some improvement over stock, depending on the manufacture of the barrel.

welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Hey guys, just want to know the difference between the Match Barrel and Drop-in barrel? I'm new in guns so I'm still learning a lot of stuff. I have a XD-40 Service model, and still trying to decide if I should put a match barrel or not. thanks a lot
Welcome to the forum AJM-XD.
I've had similar thoughts/questions and found that the manufacturers are the best ones to answer those questions. I think that it depends on which manufacturer you're dealing with, but just to give you some food for thought; What are your ultimate goals with a "match barrel"? If it is to improve your shooting skills, a trigger job might do as much. And, for much more fun, as well as, longevity of the shooting sport, shooting more bullets (with appropriate training) will improve all skills and pleasures.

I've learned that patience will pay in big dividends, especially in any physical/mental sport. We are participating in a highly mentally charged physical sport, just as much as golf. You have to learn to "allow" your muscles to perform what they are trained to do. But, first you have to train the muscles. So, repetitive "trained" action resolves a whole lot of mechanical quests.

·
Premium Member
127,435 Posts
I have a Bar-Sto stainless match barrel in my competition XD9 Tactical. It was a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have heard and read all this rave about Bar-Sto match barrels in guns, but I guess I'm not real sure what the advantage is of having one in your XD? They are by no means cheap to buy and then you have to pay a smith to fit and install it in the gun? I am just asking this out of curiosity, as I have a stock barrel in my XD at the moment and have thought about putting one in a while back. After more practise and putting in a trigger job I seem to be getting real accurate with the pistol the way it is, stock barrel and all. I have had no FTF's and can't picture the barrel becoming damaged. Any opinions on this mod would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I have heard and read all this rave about Bar-Sto match barrels in guns, but I guess I'm not real sure what the advantage is of having one in your XD? They are by no means cheap to buy and then you have to pay a smith to fit and install it in the gun? I am just asking this out of curiosity, as I have a stock barrel in my XD at the moment and have thought about putting one in a while back. After more practise and putting in a trigger job I seem to be getting real accurate with the pistol the way it is, stock barrel and all. I have had no FTF's and can't picture the barrel becoming damaged. Any opinions on this mod would be greatly appreciated!
I have a PG 'semi-drop in' barrel in my XD Tac 9MM and I find it provides a noticeable increase in accuracy when compared to the stock barrel. Very nice barrel for the money.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Match grade -vs- stock: I'm guilty of going this route too. Yes, I have both and when I was at the range today, I handed my no-match grade XD 4" (Powder River trigger modified, only) to a friend and said, "See if you can notice a difference." The sumbitch sent three shots down range that I couldn't match from a bench rest! Then he proceeded to do the same with my match grade (Springfield Armory factory modified competition trigger, heavy guide rod, Trigicon sights) XD 5"!:oops:

I'm beginning to think that a lot of it is a mental difference.
Of course, training and skill might have something to do with it too. He's a retired special forces shooting range trainer.:shock:

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I'm beginning to think that a lot of it is a mental difference.
Of course, training and skill might have something to do with it too. He's a retired special forces shooting range trainer.:shock:
If I shoot our XD back to back with the stock barrel compared to the PG barrel I can shoot much tighter groups. Is it a massive difference? No, but I find it to be consistantly better. I think a lot of it has to do with the better quality lock-up you get with the PG barrel (has more surface area in a few key spots) but the biggest difference may be with the chamber...the OE XD chamber is loose as a goose, the PG barrel has a much tighter chamber.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would say it depends on what the pistol is going to be used for...If it is SD and some practice to get proficient in an emegency situation I would stay with the looser factory barrel. This allows for more flexibility with the ammo that it will take and allow for the very slight variations in case dimensions that occur between manufacturers. I would rather have a pistol that will gobble up most any ammo it is fed than get a group a 1/2 inch tighter. IMHO

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
QuietMan and BOFH, Thank you for your very realistic and well thought out responses. I agree totally with what you have said, Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I would say it depends on what the pistol is going to be used for...If it is SD and some practice to get proficient in an emegency situation I would stay with the looser factory barrel. This allows for more flexibility with the ammo that it will take and allow for the very slight variations in case dimensions that occur between manufacturers. I would rather have a pistol that will gobble up most any ammo it is fed than get a group a 1/2 inch tighter. IMHO
Agreed!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I see your point but FWIW I have put between 2500 and 3K rounds through the PG barrel and have never had a single feeding or chambering issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts