Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would anyone care to offer their opinion on using Master Cartridge .40 165 grain JHP +P loads in my xd40? i'd read on another board, with regard to another brand of semi, that you want to stay away from hot loads with lead bullets. i'm not well-versed in the differences of them all, would appreciate any input.

i'm assuming these are reloads. will that void the warranty?

thnx,

dn
cincinnati, oh
xd40

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TomSwift said:
.40 S&W +P?????? I've never heard of +P in .40 S&W.
that's what i thought when i saw the box. "40 S & W 165 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point + P".

dn
cincinnati, oh
xd40

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There's no SAAMI (SAMMI? SAMMY? TIMOTHY?) specification for +P .40s&w loads, so there's absolutely no guarantee that they'll be safe in ANY gun. You could double-throw a .40 load and call it +P if you wanted.

Stay away. Stick to WWB.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Yeah, no such thing. The only thing they mean by that prolly is you dont get maximum powder if that. Prolly no different ballistic wise than any other JHP

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you load your own I suppose you'd do it. but why?
Personally, my favorite carry round is the standard 180gr Gold Dot which has a "use" by FBI and TacFireArms.

It's the standard 40SW load.

Pushing high +p loads in the XDsub compact is not what it was designed for.
A Standard size all Stainless like the SW 4006 will handle very hot loads but that's not logical to hand load those except for a hunt, where only a few rounds will be shot.
Using a bullet and velocity specified as a reliable trustworthy tested round for self defense is where your thoughts should be.

I'm not implying anything about you, but it seems like the immature unknowledgeable new gun owners want the fastest bullet they can shoot because they think it is the best. I would recommend doing some research about self defense using a handgun and best bullet for the caliber, as well as reading TacFirearms wealth of information that most gun owners don't think about.
IE: What are the responses a hostile will demonstrate once hit by a bullet?
These things will help you understand the possibilities which are fascinating.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
D.E. Watters said:
FWIW: Master Cartridges and its sister company Georgia Arms make quality ammunition.
i don't mean to sound argumentative when i say this, but can you provide any info to support that? i ask, as i googled "master cartridge" and found nothing of relevance. even the georgia arms website is below average as far as content. or is it just that you've had success with this brand?

thnx,

dn
cincinnati, oh
xd40

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I can't say anything about Master Carts, but I can say that in my personal experience, Georgia Arms has been nothing other than perfectly reliable and accurate and high quality ammo.

And yeah, their site sucks, but then again, so does Glock's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mst3kguy said:
i don't mean to sound argumentative when i say this, but can you provide any info to support that? i ask, as i googled "master cartridge" and found nothing of relevance. even the georgia arms website is below average as far as content. or is it just that you've had success with this brand?
I have personal positive experiences with both brands, as do most of my shooting friends. Master Cartridge and Georgia Arms are effectively the same company. The Master Cartridge side of the business sells through dealers while Georgia Arms sells direct to customers. The business was started by Curtis Shipley and Larry Haynie, a pair of PPC shooters. They started out selling the same ammo which they were using to win matches, and things grew from there. Curtis has used his ammo to place well in the Masters and Bianchi Cup. In 1991, their ammo was used by Riley Gilmore to shoot the second perfect score in Bianchi Cup history.

Remember some companies are simply not net-savvy. A bad website does not mean a bad product, nor is the reverse true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts