Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,765 Posts
Shot the dude through the shower curtain while the intruder was taking a shower? Yeah hard to say you felt your life was in danger....

Let the memes begin...

·
Registered
9,580 Posts

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Ah yeah left to retrieve gun and the shot the guy.
IDIOT.
Not the kind of decision one would make if one is not brain dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The argument will probably be successfully made since the homeowner left to retrieve a gun he could have also left the premises, called 9-1-1 and waited. Despite the oft-heard comments about time for LEO to arrive the showering intruder wasn't threatening anyone, had no idea the HO had returned.

I'd like to think I've have fired a few shots into the shower intentionally missing the clean freak but then again not sure just waiting outside for LEO to arrive would be the better course of action.

·
Registered
9,580 Posts
I'd like to think I've have fired a few shots into the shower intentionally missing the clean freak but then again not sure just waiting outside for LEO to arrive would be the better course of action.

Why would you shoot up your own shower?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The argument will probably be successfully made since the homeowner left to retrieve a gun he could have also left the premises, called 9-1-1 and waited. Despite the oft-heard comments about time for LEO to arrive the showering intruder wasn't threatening anyone, had no idea the HO had returned.

Get your gun and get on the phone. Announce that you are on the phone with the police and that you are still wanting the trespasser to leave. If he doesn't, stay on the phone and should he move (get out of the shower) the only authorized movement is to leave the house has fast as possible. Any other movement is not authorized and will be noted on the phone call and increase my fear for the situation.

Positive note, he most likely isn't armed in the shower and I would have taken his clothes and thrown them out the front door. You want them, go get them.

Reactions: oldranger53

·
Registered
18,773 Posts
Heck, leave him in the shower, call the cops, stand outside with gun and all family members, let cops come get him. I see no reason to discharge my weapon if I'm in no danger and nobody in my family is in danger.

Don't get me wrong, the guy busted into your house so anything bad that happens to him he deserves. That said, how about avoid taking a human life if you can? Doesn't seem to hard to me.

·
Registered
9,580 Posts
I was also gonna say take his pants and shoes...let him finish his shower while 5-Oh is en route. If he does manage to get away, at least he'll be easy to spot.

I would like the guy caught and prosecuted...I want restitution for my screen door and shower decontamination.

Some people don't understand what Castle Doctrine actually means. Opponents will be all over this,

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was also gonna say take his pants and shoes...let him finish his shower while 5-Oh is en route. If he does manage to get away, at least he'll be easy to spot.

I would like the guy caught and prosecuted...I want restitution for my screen door and shower decontamination.

Some people don't understand what Castle Doctrine actually means. Opponents will be all over this,
Okay, I'll bite, what does it mean? And while you're working on that, here's something else to chew on.

I also live in a small town in Washington. Depending on the time of year, chances would be better than fair that someone breaking into my house would be someone I know, at least by sight. Not saying I hang out with criminals, but live in a small town long enough, and you eventually get to know, and be known, by just about everyone. These are hard times, especially in rural parts of the country, and desperate people do desperate things. Another thing about small towns. I'd say odds are good that there was no breaking in this B&E, despite what may have been reported. A lot of folks around here leave doors unlocked and keys in the ignition. Neighbors tend to watch out for each other.

All that aside, there's NO justification for unloading on someone through a shower curtain, Castle Doctrine or not. Of all the situations you could walk into during a break-in, the robber in the shower, oblivious to your presence, has to be about the least threatening. Unless there's more to this case, this shooting is totally unjustified, and the homeowner deserves to go to jail IMO. Later.

Dave

·
Registered
9,580 Posts
It means you have the right to defend yourself. Believe it or not, some states do not recognize this as a right and place a "duty to retreat" on the aggressed.

It does NOT mean that you can use deadly force based solely on trespass.

That's the general overview, it's not verbatim from any state's specific statute.

Close enough for you, Dave?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Came evaluated left and returned he's screwed

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
It means you have the right to defend yourself. Believe it or not, some states do not recognize this as a right and place a "duty to retreat" on the aggressed.

It does NOT mean that you can use deadly force based solely on trespass.

That's the general overview, it's not verbatim from any state's specific statute.

Close enough for you?
returning is not defending.

·
Registered
9,580 Posts
returning is not defending.
I'm not saying it is, or was. I'm saying the homeowner is screwed. My comment about Castle Doctrine was meant to be taken as: This Ain't It.

Unless there's something to say otherwise, this guy is lucky to only be facing 2nd degree and not 1st degree murder charges. Was I that unclear?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I'm not saying it is, or was. I'm saying the homeowner is screwed. My comment about Castle Doctrine was meant to be taken as: This Ain't It.

Unless there's something to say otherwise, this guy is lucky to only be facing 2nd degree and not 1st degree murder charges. Was I that unclear?
on the contrary, I was agreeing with you.

Reactions: Jonnyuma

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Throw toaster in shower. Wait till quiet. Call authorities and report suicide by toaster.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Castle Doctrine, Stand Your Ground, whatever your State has, this was just plain idiotic. Now the HO is going to jail or and will very likely be sued if the now deceased shower taker had any kind of family. No provocation for this at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts