Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on thefirearmsforum.com weeks ago and no one has reponded. Maybe "since this seems to be a more active community" i can find my answers out here.

Hi guys, new here! Just picked up an old skool Marlin 70HC. Cleaned her up, re-stained the stock and fired her for the first time. I have not shot 22 rifle before and really am un-educated on the way the projectile acts in flight. I set my target up at 60 yards and was hitting (with a BSA .22 scope) a 2" grouping while having the gun on a mount. I pushed the target back to 110 yards and my grouping went to about 6".Could that be due to not practicing enough or will the projectile be affected by wind with it being a .22 round?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
It really depends on a lot of things. How windy was it? Were you shooting on flat terrain? Does the barrel float freely? How well did the action cycle? What ammunition you were using?

Unless it's really windy 110 yards isn't really a stretch for a .22 by any means. It all comes down to what kind of accuracy you're expecting, and what you're willing to do to get it. I have a regular model 70 I've worked with for a few years and get 1" consistently at 100 yards.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
well if one inch is moa at 100 yards, you expect 2 inches at 200 yards, 3 inch at 300 yards. Thats my understanding.

So at 60 yards you got approximately 2 inches, so almost double that to 110 yards and best case you are looking at 4 inches. The variables could be poor fiting of the stock, or your eyes are exponentially worse the farther out you look.

I have a marlin papoose.

I shout about 3 - 3 1/2 inches at 100 yards on a good day. and it has a removable barrel so its not the same thing.

I think something is off you you or the gun.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
well if one inch is moa at 100 yards, you expect 2 inches at 200 yards, 3 inch at 300 yards. Thats my understanding.

So at 60 yards you got approximately 2 inches, so almost double that to 110 yards and best case you are looking at 4 inches. The variables could be poor fiting of the stock, or your eyes are exponentially worse the farther out you look.

I have a marlin papoose.

I shout about 3 - 3 1/2 inches at 100 yards on a good day. and it has a removable barrel so its not the same thing.

I think something is off you you or the gun.

Have you ever sighted the papoose in with a scope? I'm curious about what kind of consistency they have. I've been looking for another .22, and the take down idea is cool if the gun functions and shoots the same every time it gets put together.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
Have you ever sighted the papoose in with a scope? I'm curious about what kind of consistency they have. I've been looking for another .22, and the take down idea is cool if the gun functions and shoots the same every time it gets put together.
you have to tighten it the same amount each time. Its not perfect by any means, but its a reasonable effort and result.

I havent scoped it yet, i might buy some rings and throw on a 3x9x40 bushnell sportview i have laying around. Its perfectly fine for shooting squirells and all sorts of critters. I havent really used it much in a few years, but in small game season we would march through the woods with my bro and cousin with their 10/22, they never got any significant more stuff than me.

50-100 yards i would keep up with them plinking stuff like cans lids, rocks, bottles, charcoal etc. Its no world beater by anymeans. It is a neat gun though.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
"How accurate is the Papoose? With its barrel and chamber supported only by that threaded sleeve, you'd think accuracy would be terrible. You'd be wrong. The Papoose shoots quite well enough for its purposes, being on a par with most other Marlin .22 semiauto plinkers. If you're not getting 2-inch groups with your Papoose at 50 yards with iron sights, you'd better tighten that barrel sleeve some more or consider buying a scope."

Gun Digest - Original Papoose is One Great Gun

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
This is the average accuracy I get out of my regular model 70. This was at 100 yards using Federal 38g hollow point bulk pack with a B-34 G 25yd Pistol target. I would shoot 5 into the center and then one at each of the 7's on the side of the target. My model 70 is currently fitted with a 4x32 Tasco Silver Antler scope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts