Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I went and picked one up a few days ago, great little rifle super accurite out of the box and workd great through the 300rds i put though it in a day. Not to pleased with the parts quality, but it works!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
UPDATE...They are now back up to $105 after rebate.

Been shooting and playing with mine for the last 3-4 months. Kind of a fun little gun.

Here is what it looks like now with Tech Sights, GI web sling and the stock wrapped in para cord. Inside of stock holds 5 loaded mags + 50 rounds of extra ammo + a key chain LED light + a pair of foam ear plugs + a small screw driver to take the stock off. I also have an additional 30 rounds up under the barrel plus a hook, line and sinker with a foam earplug as a bobber under the pistol grip cap.

I also wrote a review of the rifle and some mods here

NylonRifles.com

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You can often find lightly used early Remington and Savage bolt action 22s in pawn shops for 100 bucks or less.

I have three Remington 22 bolt guns and all three were bought way under 100 bucks and will shoot dime sized groups at 50yds.

Great back up emergency small game getters for under 100 bucks.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
313 Posts
one thing that is driving me nuts on this gun is the forend grip on how small it is, when i shoot my AR it feels perfect but this thing feels tiny, any ideas with out changing out the stock?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do these take the same mags as the Papoose? Anyone know who has the best price on them if so?
Usualy big stores like walmart or dunhams has it for around 125-130, then marlin offers their 25$ mail in rebate. I found mine at a midwest sports/hardware/man mall store called Fleet farm, they were offering 10% off all rifles and always had the lowest price firearms/ammo so it was 130 with 10% off and the mail in rebate so i was less then 95$ in the end. Just keep an eye on the local paper and store flyers. I found on gun sites like buds and cheaper than dirt they cost a little more, even though they they usualy beat all stores prices on guns.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Usualy big stores like walmart or dunhams has it for around 125-130, then marlin offers their 25$ mail in rebate. I found mine at a midwest sports/hardware/man mall store called Fleet farm, they were offering 10% off all rifles and always had the lowest price firearms/ammo so it was 130 with 10% off and the mail in rebate so i was less then 95$ in the end. Just keep an eye on the local paper and store flyers. I found on gun sites like buds and cheaper than dirt they cost a little more, even though they they usualy beat all stores prices on guns.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out. If it takes Papoose mags I'll probably get one :)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had an old Marlin 60 parts gun. Basically the barreled receiver, bolt etc. It was missing the trigger and mechanicals for hammer, etc. Looking at it and my 795 it is apparent that everything but the bullet feed is the same. the 60 uses a tube fed, the 795 a detachable box mag.

I ended up swapping the 60 upper onto the 795 lower. As such if gave me 22" barrel instead of the 18". Kind of a neat project.

The 795, beater 60 action and my 1983 Model 60 below them.

The old 60 with the guts of the 795

On the stock...

This 60 is a real beater...

Here's something you don't see every day. At tube fed with a box magazine.

And the final product with the sights removed. Gonna slap a scope on this upper so I have swap between the short 79 w/tech sights and the long bbl with a scope.

·
Banned
98 Posts
I'd do without some of that ammo and put a trotlines and snares in its place. lthey work 24-7, in several places at once, don't make noise, don't require you to be there, be alert, be exposed to enemies as they "hunt" for you.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took my long barreled 795 out over the weekend and shot it. Had lots of problems with failures to feed. I was using the original bolt, didn't think to take the 795 bolt with me to switch out. Obviously the "use a model 60 upper on a 795" idea needs some further development.

In regards to what you carry in the stock, it certainly is up to the owners choice what he thinks he needs.

·
Banned
98 Posts
I greatly prefer the lamentably out of production Marlin Papoose M70P, preferably with a telescoping stock, see thru scope mount, luminous iron sights, a 6" long barrel, a handmade forend (lexan) and a 6" long sound suppressor. Then it is a very handy, useful little rifle.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i just saw the 795 at my local sportsman's warehouse. they're offering it for $99.99 PLUS the $25 mail in rebate... for $75 bucks how can i say no? i'm thinking of getting two just because i can but i don't know if the wife will use the second to threaten me with...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just saw the 795 at my local sportsman's warehouse. they're offering it for $99.99 PLUS the $25 mail in rebate... for $75 bucks how can i say no? i'm thinking of getting two just because i can but i don't know if the wife will use the second to threaten me with...
Great googly moogly... that's a great deal. For that price I would buy a couple and stash them away. You might want to check to see if you can use the rebate twice, if I recall it said one per household. Just be creative.

Unfortunately, sportsman's warehouse isn't in my state or I would be on the way. :(

BTW, I just added this cheek pad, pouch thingy to my 795 and 10/22. Quite handy for the higher cheek weld of tech sights and scopes. Has removable velrco ammo holders inside and out. Holds lots of stuff and was cheap. I ordered mine directly from http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/pouch/ammo-pouch but you can find them on ebay. I've had a black one on my hunting rifle for several years and it has worked well.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i like those pouches. i'm a long/tall guy so the 22s feel a little small for me, but i want one to plink with and have as a small game survival rifle. that gives me an idea of where to start for making it a little 'bulkier'.

i am considering putting a scope on it since it comes with a rail, any suggestions of a decent inexpensive optic for these 22s? i know you get what you pay for but i'm not planning on dropping ground hogs at 300 yards... yet ;)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i like those pouches. i'm a long/tall guy so the 22s feel a little small for me, but i want one to plink with and have as a small game survival rifle. that gives me an idea of where to start for making it a little 'bulkier'.

i am considering putting a scope on it since it comes with a rail, any suggestions of a decent inexpensive optic for these 22s? i know you get what you pay for but i'm not planning on dropping ground hogs at 300 yards... yet ;)
This one gets good reviews....and is pretty cheap comparatively.

Simmons 22 MAG Adjustable Objective 3-9X32mm AO Rimfire Riflescope w/ Scope Rings FREE S&H 511072, 511073. Simmons Riflescopes.

Nikon's Prostaff 2-7x32 scope is a better scope and can be found for around $100 on sale at times.

another cheap scope that gets decent reviews is the 3-9x Centerpoint scope from Walmart. People seem to like them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
thanks for the links. it seems wrong putting a scope on the 22 that cost more than the rifle... but when i get a deal like $75 i guess ANY scope will cost more than that that is half way decent... lol. plus i can always put the scope on a different rifle... it's not like they're married to each other.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the links. it seems wrong putting a scope on the 22 that cost more than the rifle... but when i get a deal like $75 i guess ANY scope will cost more than that that is half way decent... lol. plus i can always put the scope on a different rifle... it's not like they're married to each other.

I kind of feel the same way. Sometimes good enough is good enough. It also depends on what you intend to do with the rifle and scope. If you are using it for competition, it would be good to invest in a good scope. If you are using it for plinking, you have a different need. Hunting with a 22 is different than with a large caliber.

I just ordered the Simmons 22 mag AO scope to replace a 30 year old Bushnell Sportview whose adjustment knobs stopped working this weekend at an Appleseed shoot. I think I paid $19 for that Bushnell. Interested in trying the Simmons.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts