Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure I am going to buy this

rifle tommorow. I was in Bi-mart today, buying a couple of mega-pak UMC 9mm luger rounds and saw this little lever action 30-30 for $299.89.. That seems like a great price for a lever action rifle!? I have been looking on-line for a lever action rifle.. mostly I have found Winchester rifles in 30-30, but they are VERY spendy for a person on my budget.

I have never owned a Marlin rifle before.. I do have a Glenfield .22 bolt action.. I believe Marlin makes the Glenfield (or visa-versa) so it's a pretty good brand.

If anyone thinks buying this rifle is a bad idea.. please let me know.. because I am going to buy it in the morning save for any negative input from you fella's.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops.. I think I posted this in the wrong section.. if a moderator would move it to non-hs2000/sa-xd I would appreciate it..

Raymond

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds like a good deal! I have a Marlin 1895GS, lever-action .45-70, 18.5" barrel. It's a great little gun. Out of the box, my first time at the range, was easily holding 2" groups at a hundred yards offhand (standing and kneeling) with 300- and 405-grain factory loads. I think Marlin makes a great factory lever-action centerfire, and they're definitely a lot of bang for the buck.

I'd say pick it up for sure. And the .30-30 is a great all-around cartridge.

Andy

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Comparing Marlins to Winchester Model 94s is almost like comparing XDs to Glocks (with no intended significance to the order). While pure traditionalists tend toward the Model 94, the Marlin is a fine gun (with the side eject adventageous if you plan to mount a scope on it). I own a late 1980's vintage Model 94 which rarely sees the light of day outside of the vault - partially because I have bolt action rifles that are better suited for my usage, primarily because of some questionable design decisions made by US Repeating Arms. If you have your heart set on a lever action .30-30, I'd recommend the Marlin over the Winchester.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Whatcha gonna use it for?

30-30 is excellent for deer huntin' but a bit pricey for shootin' paper.

Fabulous rifle for sure. Looks good in a saddle scabbard on a tall horse.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Son of Norway said:
Whatcha gonna use it for?

30-30 is excellent for deer huntin' but a bit pricey for shootin' paper.

Fabulous rifle for sure. Looks good in a saddle scabbard on a tall horse.
Medium sized game, and varmints. I am not much of a hunter, but I would like to be. I like the 30-30 round for it's recognized ability to bring down deer..

plus lever action rifles are cool.. and it might get me chicks!

Honestly though, it is just one more part of my arsenal that I would like to have.. I am trying to cover all the bases.. If I had the money, I would be buying the RRA AR-15 with a free floating barell... but that is $1,300 more than the Marlin I saw today at Bi-Mart.. I was surprised to be honest with you.. From the prices I have seen on-line $299 seems awfully reasonable.. and Marlin is a good brand.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
If you are not much of a hunter, I wouldn't get it. I bought a Remington .308 rifle for deer hunting back in 1983 and sold it in 2004.

How many deer did I hunt/shoot?...................0. I did once shoot a nice pronghorned dirt clod and a 7 point water jug :shock:

For real fun, get a lever action in .22, .357 or 44 magnum. They are easy to shoot and you'll get to shoot alot more for less money. If you are set on the 30/30 go for it. Then again, gunshows are loaded with good used lever 30/30s for alot less money. I bet you could get a early Marlin for $150 easy.

I heard these are good rifles too, but I never shot one.
http://www.henryrepeating.com/ourrifles.cfm

I like the 30-30 round for it's recognized ability to bring down deer..
The thuty thuty is a classic, but I wouldn't say its a potent round for deer :| I'd go .308, .243, 270...............

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Every thing Ive heard or read abotu Marlin levers was positive. I myslf would like a nice lever in .44 magnum to match my uger single action. But then again, Ive always wanted a 45-70 too. Nothing I can hunt in Ohio with it though, I (like you) just want it for my arsenal.

RANGE REPORT!

·
Premium Member
21,735 Posts
the marlin is a very reliable rifle, ive own them for years inalsort of calibers, got a 30/30 and 45/70 now,,, both shoot fantastic, scoped or not, if u get in to reloading 30/30 there is a lot of cheap loads to use , if u do let me know ill help u along,

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have an 1894 in .357 and a 336 in .30-30. I love them both. As mentioned earlier, the side eject is useful for scope mounting. I got the 336 used in a deal when I bought my safe, paid $175 for it. Great quality, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I did not notice if you siad it was new or not. If it is new the price is pretty good. If it is used then it is too much.

I picked up a 336y (carbine/youth model) with a T/C scope on it for $250.00. The thing is like new. The guy said he had 50 rounds thru it but it looks less than that.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it.. my girlfriend protested.. I am sure those who I owe money to will as well.. but I really wanted this rifle.

It is not the 336a that I thought it was.. it is the 336w

Caliber: 30/30 Win.
Capacity: 6-shot tubular magazine
Action: Lever action; side ejection; solid top receiver; deeply blued metal surfaces; gold-plated steel trigger; hammer block safety.
Stock: Walnut finished cut-checkered hardwood with pistol grip; tough Mar-Shield® finish; blued steel barrel band with integral swivel; padded nylon sling; hard rubber butt plate.
Barrel: 20" with Micro-Groove® rifling (12 grooves).
Twist Rate 1:10" r.h.
Sights: Screw-adjustable open rear, brass bead front sight with Wide-Scan™ hood. Solid top receiver tapped for scope mount; offset hammer spur (right or left hand) for scope use.
Length: 38.25"
Weight: 7 lbs.
SWEET!!

I didn't have time to go shooting today.. Next weekend though... the ammo was not as expensive as I thought it would be.. Remington 150 and 170 gr. core LOKT bullets were about $12.00 for 50.. I am not sure which is the better load.. I will have to read up on it.

I am looking forward to killing a deer this year.. I am properly armed I think.. now I just need somebody to take me hunting so I don't shoot myself...

Raymond

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Bring a sturdy horse and and a cowboy hat on that hunt, Hoss. Good luck with the rifle!

Mmm...deer...

·
Registered
51 Posts
You will enjoy your new marlin. I like the traditional looks and have not yet had an occasion to shoot a whitetail or hog out past 50 yards. The .30-30 is fine out to 150 yards on whitetails and smaller hogs.

I upgraded to some XS Ghost Ring sights. They are very visible and great for fast shooting. Easy to install. On sale at Midway occasionally.

Buy yourself .30 caliber boresnake to clean it and keep it oiled.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Read the instructions carefully. The hammer cocks when you chamber a round so beware! Read the instructions.

Congrats, have fun and good huntin' :shock:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I got my mod 94 Winchester in 30-30 for $270 about 5 years ago. Love the gun and cartridge. Took a pig with it last year and plan on doing it again in October. Will work great for dear or wildcats in the Pac northwest. Not too many wild pigs up there from what I remember. It is a good all around caliber for up to 100 yards. I don't know much about varmint hunting. If you are talking coyote and not prairie rats then I would say yeah.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have a 1940 vintage Model 36 predecessor to the 336, it started my grandpa out in hunting and I inherited it after his death. I'd like to know just how many deer it has sent to the freezer. I know Ive killed 6 with it and its never failed me.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I wish I could buy the ammo that cheap here in Ca. I pay $10 for 20 rounds. If I had researched it properly, I never would have bought my Marlin 30-30 model 30as. I bought it for plinking/target and thought I could buy the rounds cheap at a gun show. Around here, they don't sell them reloaded and the price on the net is still more expensive than what I pay at Walmart. I think I'm going to sell it and get a 44mag, 357mag or 45lc as I will never hunt.

Have fun with your new rifle Ray.

·
Registered
513 Posts
SWEET and congrats. I do not think that you paid too much, Walmart tells gun companies what they'll buy guns for and if they dont agree guess which guns wont be in walmart anymore. I have a Marlin 30A that I paid $150 for last year, they guy shot it once and decided to sell it, right place at the right time. 30 30 has taken more deer than any other round. I think you will find it a great brush gun and a good shooter. Get a good sling for it and you'll be set.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts