Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know anything about the marlin 30/30 model 30? I have a chance to get one but dont know anything about it. I like the 336 but i dont know the differences. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been wanting a lever action rifle and narrowed it down to a Henry's 22, and a Marlin 30-30. Couldn't decide which I wanted more.

My brother has both and let me shoot them last week. If I could only choose one, it would be the Marlin 30-30, hands down. Fantastic little gun. I hope to get one soon myself.

~ Centerfire

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The model 30AS was basically a no frills Model 336 Marlin lever action. A very common and popular Marlin rifle for deer hunting in the USA.

Yeah, if you can get it for a good price...go for it. That is a solid rifle and Marlin's 336 line is still being made and used by many hunters and shooters. They're usually more accurate than the Winchester 94.

I have an early 336 Marlin in 30-30 and I'd never sell it. I also have two other Marlin leverguns in 357 and 44 mag and Dad has a Marlin levergun in 45-70. We are big Marlin fans and use them heavily!

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
185 Posts
i agree, if you can get it for a good price, get it. i love my 30-30, its the only rifle i take deer hunting(hog hunting) anymore. make sure you get some of the leverevolution ammo, your ballistics go way up and you can take shots out to 300plus yards. the marlins are great guns extremely accurate and nothing beats shooting a lever action rifle imho.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my Marlin 336, I bought it new in 1978 and have never regreted the choice, my son has made me promise to never get rid of it and bequeath it to him when I go! If you have the chance for a good price buy it! Marlin lever actions are soild guns built to last.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer the 336 in .35 or one of the big bores but everyone should own a Marlin levergun. The 30's main difference from the 336 is the stock. The wood on those are not walnut like the 336As, etc. I think that the 30 uses a birch stock. but interally it's all pretty much the same. I sure wouldn't pass up a good deal on one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a Marlin model 30as 30-30, well the wife does anyway. It might be my favorite rifle. The only downfall is that, I don't reload, so I cannot feed it nearly as much as I would like. I love the dark, plain stock. It's very sharp and clean.
BTW I purchased mine with a 3-9x40 scope for $150. It may have been the best deal I've gotten on a firearm.
Now go get it!

BK

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks the deal is pending I will post pics if it goes through

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've had the 336 in 30/30 for 30 + yrs. Won a 1895 45/70 a few yrs back and love them both. Topped them with straight 4 power scopes. Haven't used the 336 lately the oldest son "borrowed" it. With Hornadys new ammo you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think someone has alread mentioned the new ballistic tip 30/30s that vastly improve the range and accuracy of the 30/30. the old 30/30 round was really 'round' nosed so that a hard pointed round would not accidentally hit the primer of a round in the tube of the lever action rifle. this plastic tip eliminates that now and improves the bullet flight too.

Id love to have a 30/30 behind the seat of my truck riding around after I retire and maybe take a vermit when nobody's looking, say a coyote or wild hog, etc. etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Keep in mind, even though the new LeveRevolution round improves distance accuracy, the Marlin carbines including the 336 were designed for the woods and the brush. There are some around who think putting a scope on one is a sacrilege to that intent. In Michigan's U.P. forests and swamps where I have put to use my 336 30-30 (received from an elder hunter who got it as a youngster and wanted it to stay in trusted hands), 300-yard ammo isn't much use. I have seen what my 170 gr. traditional round does to a whitetail's heart from close range. It does the job, for sure.

Of course I still went and bought 200 rounds of the LeveRevolution stuff anyway. Never can tell when a situation might come up. :cool:

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I have a Glenfield Model 30 that my grandfather bought in 1968 and who passed it down to me a few years ago. It is basically a Marlin model 30/30 that was made for Sears. Same internals as a Marlin, but with birch stock instead of walnut. Honestly, great gun, shoots perfect, looks great. There really is something fun about a lever action carbine that a lot of guns these days don't have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts