Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 1895GS out today to give her some range time. Might be taking it on a overnight hike and wanted to test some ammo. Shot 10rnd of Remmington 300gr hollow points and 10rnds of Remmington 405gr soft points. Shot flawless and straight, no issues.

I'd found a box of Hornady Leverlution 325gr at Turners for $36. The 1st round loaded and fired great, cycled the lever, spent case ejected but the next round jammed leaving the tube onto the ramp. This happened every time I tried it. I'll take some video and post it.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Oath Keeper

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I do know that lever evolution cases for that caliber are actually a tiny bit shorter than regular cases. Reloaders have to watch out for those cases or do them separately. That could be it. Could also be those rubber tips, although that seems less likely. What did it look like was the problem when you worked it real slow and watched it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at work tonight, I'll video it tomorrow. But I can tell you this, the case didn't stay horizontal on the feed ramp. The case (primer end) went up at about a 30* angle not allowing the bullet tip to clear the magazine tube. If I pushed it forward and down it would lay down on the ramp and then feed into the chamber.

Oath Keeper

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Kind of looks like the rubber tip is dragging.

I'm not sure. I don't have a marlin. I'm sure someone here does.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
A few guys have a marlin 45-70, to be more precise.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
While I have not had that issue with Hornady LE I have had others. The case issue is a real deal for many over at the Marlin forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I saw that. I used to reload for this gun. Time is pretty limited these days, so I stopped. This ammo is the first I've bought in 10yrs. Sticker shock at first, feeding issues compounded my buyers remorse and now case length. Frustrating!

Oath Keeper

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
the brass is garbage too...not to further your remorse...they shortened the cases drastically to accomidate their crappy rubber-tipped projectiles...

Dad is in the market for a guide gun in 45-70 and everyone he has discussed it with has made the comment "Do not run Hornady Ammo in one"

now, I have pictures to show him why...switch to a different manufacturer; I reccommend Federal...we shot a bunch of their ammo in a buddy's BFR without a hitch

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Shouldn't be, it's a rimmed round so the biggest thing you might see is different accuracy.
correct...and the brass is essentially useless for reloaders because it is too short...it won't hurt anything I believe the warning was intended for functional reasons

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright. I used to reload for this gun, still have everything but one key component, time. I'll keep the brass separate.

Oath Keeper

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
In regard to the Hornady FTX ammunition I would suggest simply cutting the tip back far enough to be even with the jacketing. That should allow it to function properly in your Marlin and the plastic in these tips is soft enough to cut with a pocket knife.

BTW, in the 357 Magnum I am NOT impressed by the Hornady FTX bullet. Performance tests posted on YouTube indicate that it will either fail to expand properly or fragment on impact, so as a hunting bullet it's only useful on smaller game. In addition it's design limits case capacity even if you don't trim the cases 0.04 inch shorter as recommended by Hornady. Because of this the powder charge is limited and produced velocity isn't that good and the accuracy isn't very impressive either. I have a Winchester 1892 and Rossi M92, both with 20 inch barrels and a near maximum charge only yields 1500 fps. from either rifle. As a comparison the superb 140 grain XTP will produce 1900 fps. with 17.5 grains of H110 and group sizes about 1/2 that produced by the FTX bullet. Once I've finished shooting up the FTX bullets I have on hand I wont be purchasing any more.

However, I will be purchasing more of the Hornady XTP bullets. Because the accuracy with both the 140 and 158 grain versions has been about 2 MOA and that is with iron sights. One of these days I intend to mount a scout rail and scope on the Rossi because I am really curious as to how accurate these loads are. With the weather closing in that will probably be next spring because I'm just too darned old to enjoy sitting at a bench shooting for accuracy when it's near freezing or below.

Bottomline, there is good Hornady ammunition and there is "gee whiz" Hornady ammunition that is more hype than benefit. I would recomend any ammo featuring the superb XTP bullets and give the rounds assembled with the FTX bullet a pass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts