Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a reply you made in the "XD tactical vs service" thread about changing your front sights because your groups were to high. I prefer to ain center mass (I am not a bulls eye competitor) and would like to change my front sight also. On my Glock 36 (a carry gun) I have night sights and Ameriglo sells front tritium sights of varying heights. My XD40 tactical though will only be a range/game gun and I would like to put on a new front sight but don't need tritium. Where can I buy new front sights of varying heights from? I know I can buy adjustable sights but at this time would rather go the front sight route.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I called Springfield about this. They said they would install a new rear sight on my 9 Tactical to correct the elevation problem (shooting too high). The rear sight on my 9 Service is much lower than the Tactical. They would not sell me a sight for self/gunsmith installation. They say they have had too many sights and slides ruined (because the dovetails are too tight) by people trying to install themselves. They quoted 2-4 weeks turn around time.

I was going to do this, but my Tactical 9 isn't really all that accurate. The Tactical 40 I had previously was fine, so I decided to sell the 9 and get another Tactical 40 with an accessory barrel in 9mm.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone succesfully (no dings in the slide or other damage) change the front sight? If so, what tool did you use (sight pusher)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, CDNN has a GREAT DEAL....They have a "gunsmith's" set of sights that's something like $14 for this you get a selection of new sights front and rear which go from Sig numbers (as I recall) 6,7,8,9....

That's only a few bucks per front and rear set.

Fot those who are not Sig owners; the lower the number, the lower the point of impact. 8 is the "normal" Sig (and I believe, XD sights). So if your shooting too high and want to switch out the front, try a number 6...If it is still too high shooting, you can cnge the rear to a 7....

You really have to bash the shight to get it off. There are a number of postings on various experiences on this.

If you install a new sight, it will be often too tight; you have to very carefully, with a diamond file take a teeny tiny bit of material off the new sight. It's tedious, for sure....Used sights will go on sometimes a bit loose (use Locktite)

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts