Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Bushmaster AR out today for some fun! Funny, everytime I take it to the range I have a blast, which is one of the big plus's of this platform! Yet, I know, if need be it can take care of business! Which is even a bigger plus...

Sure wish I could get a hold of the military version and let some 3 round burst go. :)

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
There are many transferable M16 receivers on the market, or more inexpensive prices, DIAS (Drop In Auto Sears) or LL's (Lightning Links) are also available.

I agree though. I enjoy shooting my AR's.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My first few years in the Corps, we still had full autos. It was indeed fun & something any AR enthusiast would enjoy.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
So, I feel differently. I like the AR and feel it is a tremendous all around, valuable firearm with numerous applications, but I just don't get much enjoyment from shooting it. I don't really know exactly why, bit I think it is just too easy. Hits what I aim at, hardly recoils, doesn't cause issues. Am I just not pushing things hard enough? There just isn't the challenge compared to shooting handguns.

Sometimes I feel I am alone, because I always see/hear people loving to shoot their AR's. I just can't get excited about it. Are there meds I need to take?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
So, I feel differently. I like the AR and feel it is a tremendous all around, valuable firearm with numerous applications, but I just don't get much enjoyment from shooting it. I don't really know exactly why, bit I think it is just too easy. Hits what I aim at, hardly recoils, doesn't cause issues. Am I just not pushing things hard enough? There just isn't the challenge compared to shooting handguns.

Sometimes I feel I am alone, because I always see/hear people loving to shoot their AR's. I just can't get excited about it. Are there meds I need to take?
Yes, take 55 grains of FMJ and call me in the morning.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
HP,

I would say you're not pushing yourself enough. If you're shooting USPSA targets at 15-50 yards it can get kind of boring/routine. One thing I noticed (after shooting a fair amount of 3 gun this year) is that most people are ok at shooting the USPSA targets at 50 yards and under, but have them shoot at something like a shotgun clay at 35 yards or 8" plate at 100-200 yards and they really struggle....and a lot of these folks are using optics. I say push yourself until you regularly hit an 8" plate at 200 yards with iron sights. If that becomes boring try decreasing the size of the target and/or shooting out further. I love shooting my AR's and only use my iron sights, and I think that adds to the challenge. When things become boring I move the target out further and decrease the size.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
I say push yourself until you regularly hit an 8" plate at 200 yards with iron sights. If that becomes boring try decreasing the size of the target and/or shooting out further. I love shooting my AR's and only use my iron sights, and I think that adds to the challenge. When things become boring I move the target out further and decrease the size.
Distance is where it's at, baby. I finally found a place where I can go out to ~ 300 yards. I'm good at 100 yards with irons, challenging is 150 yards. With my eyes, anything more than that is a fun challenge with an Aimpoint and then flip in the 3x.

Maybe I'm strange, but one of the cooler things, is the slight _delay_ from hearing the muzzle, then the steel :mrgreen:

·
Registered
163 Posts
In my humble opinion, anytime you get to ring steel is a good time.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
I enjoy my Core-15 as well. 30 round mag dumps are so much fun! :D

Reactions: JJ119

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

Must be doing something wrong...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
What do you use for sighting?
If you are using some sort of hunting scope, do something challenging---
Use iron sights and work your way from 40yds to 300yds.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I'm having a blast with mine. I love shooting my pistols too but I've been having a great time with my new AR. I'm also enjoying learning about the AR. To me its all part of the experience and its been great. I really enjoy using my iron sights and the Magpul MBUS Pro is excellent. I'm researching red dots now but see no reason into rushing to getting one. The iron sights have been a nice challenge. I can hit a paper pate easy enough at 100 yards but I'm going to start shooting at 150 and 200. Now I just need to get a get some sort of scope or binoculars so I don't have to run the distance to check out my shots.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Man I miss the days of hitting 12" center mass at 500m with iron sights. That was with the trusty M16A1. Not sure what the LE6920 can do but maybe 300m even with old eyes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm researching red dots now but see no reason into rushing to getting one.
I went ahead and bought the Vortex Sparc II Red Dot. Good value for the money. I just couldn't see myself dropping $500 or $600 on an Eotech or Aimpoint.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts

I think that's why most people (and I as well) enjoy it. Very little recoil and the bullet just hits where you aim. I have a BLAST doing moving and transition drills with my AR and and Glock. Moving and shoot an AR is just stupid easy, so it's enjoyable to see what kind of work you can do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JJ119

·
Registered
31,568 Posts

Get one in a different caliber.

6.5 Creedmoor. Bigger thump, kicks up dust like a mother, and loud as hell. Fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts