Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/14/sheriff-stranded-oregon-man-starved-froze-death/

I don't think most of us when we go car camping expect to be snowed in for 2 months so what can we learn.

I noticed a few things;

1. Know the area or have a GPS and compass, The article said he seemed to have camped around the area for years but they also say:

"It would later surprise searchers that McDonald, just three miles (five kilometers) from the town of Marion Forks, made no attempt to get out and walk to town."

2. Have a plan B. This guy had plenty of water but not enough food (who packs for 2+ months though right) but he had no cell phone or radio or any one who knew where he was going or when he should be expected back:

"No one had reported him missing."

What else?

It's sad that a guy that apparently was trying to lead a simple life and do the things that brought him happiness died but I think we can learn a lesson from it.

I've seen the "What would you do" threads on other forums. Not sure if any one would be interested in posting some threads like that here.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure if it's in the article you linked or not but local press is reporting he had 5 grand in cash on him. As for the 'nobody had reported him missing' they said he was estranged from his family. Seems weird.

To answer your question - food stuff - heck even one of those Costco survival buckets. That would throw in the back of a truck easy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My Grandfather died of a very treatable condition at 84 years old. He had just stopped caring. My Grandmother had passed away from cancer about 13 years earlier and he had a host of other "old" problems. It is always possible that this man just stopped caring and allowed himself to die.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Grandfather died of a very treatable condition at 84 years old. He had just stopped caring. My Grandmother had passed away from cancer about 13 years earlier and he had a host of other "old" problems. It is always possible that this man just stopped caring and allowed himself to die.
Possible but why take chains and try to get out? Why pack water and keep a journal?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
1. Don't go camping, in the woods, in the dead of winter, period.
2. Don't go camping, anywhere, at anytime, without telling someone.
3. Take a means of communicating with the outside world.

Number 1, negates number 2, etc. However, if you're stupid enough to go camping in the woods alone, and in the winter, then at least tell someone, and take something that will allow you to call for help.

Pretty much anything else you bring depends on your personal needs, abilities, and preferences.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts

Number 1, negates number 2, etc. However, if you're stupid enough to go camping in the woods alone, and in the winter, then at least tell someone, and take something that will allow you to call for help.

Pretty much anything else you bring depends on your personal needs, abilities, and preferences.
Yup, I think that about sums it up.

There is a similar story involving Evan Tanner. A former UFC champion who used to go on camping trips alone in the dessert. Opposite extreme. He did it all the time. The last time he went out he never came back.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
There is a similar story involving Evan Tanner. A former UFC champion who used to go on camping trips alone in the dessert. Opposite extreme. He did it all the time. The last time he went out he never came back.
Well, of course it was the last time! ;)

·
Registered
6,108 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also never go camping in grizzly country wearing salmon pants.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
sounds like a rubber tramp who was ill prepared and followed the fate of Chris McCandless ..AKA Alexander Supertramp made famous by the book/movie Into the Wild.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

Can't say that I agree with #1. I can definitely agree with #'s 2 and 3, though.

There are dangers to camping any time of the year. You could be caught in a flash flood in the spring. You could succumb to heat stroke in the summer. Winter is no different from the other seasons in that you need to plan and prepare before you go out.

Check the weather forecast for the area where you plan to camp. Let friends of family know where you are going (specific GPS coordinates, and trails if possible). When going into very remote areas, carry some sort of tracking device with you. They make devices now that leave "breadcrumbs" that friends and family can follow on a website back home.

If you park your vehicle and hike to a campsite, leave a note on the driver's seat of your vehicle that tells people where you're going.

It's not rocket science, people, but if you're not prepared ... don't go.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Can't say that I agree with #1
LOL ... yeah, that was said tongue in cheek :)

I got real tired of camping in the mountains, in the winter, back when I was a kid. My Grandfather and Dad loved to go hunting up there, and of course, they drug me along, too. It was a thing men did in the 50's and 60's. It helped me, at a young age, to develop a real distaste for winter/cold/freezing-your-(ass, toes, fingers, nose, etc)-off camping.

Not a real fan of ice fishing, or goose hunting either :)

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts

In my youth I enjoyed winter camping. Your Number 2, I agree with. Number 3 is not always possible; there are many areas in the area we live that are cell phone-dead, no matter who your carrier is. We are also surrounded by extensive national and state forests.

...It's not rocket science, people, but if you're not prepared ... don't go.
^^^ this ^^^

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
In my youth I enjoyed winter camping.
You were fortunate not have to go with my Grandfather and Dad :p

Grandfather = born in Blackfoot, Idaho, in 1886. A real cowboy who thought tents and sleeping bags were for sissies.

Father = Iowa farm boy. survived the Battle Of The Bulge, and the Korean war. Also not a big fan of tents, but "allowed" me to bring a sleeping bag.

Seriously, I enjoyed every minute with them, but really hated the cold, and still do. You won't find this fat, old man camping in winter ... by choice.

And, to stay on topic ... If you go out, then stay in touch. Particularly, if you are old!!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I agree with you guys about all the mistakes this guy made. It does sound like he started out with a fair amount of food though. After the first day of trying to move the truck, I would have walked out and came back later for the truck. Also it sounds like this was a guy who liked being homeless as the authorities could not find an address for him. That is probably why he stayed with the truck, as it was probaly all the home he had.

He made a lot of poor choises.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Agree with 2, and 3, but RR, we had DIFFERENT ends of that spectrum!

My pop, and Uncles all went fishing/camping in the HOTTEST part of the summer! Bluntly? I hate heat. Hate ... it.

I went camping this past January at the coldest day of the year (4 degrees) LOVED IT! I was in a 0-rated bag with a military poncho liner, and a R-6 airpad, and slept like the dead!

Woke up, brushed my beard, went "Wha' tha'hell.." Had ice in my beard, reached over for my water that I had tucked up, frozen solid, hit the sides of the tent, it snowed INSIDE due to ASPIRATION!

LOVED...IT!

·
Registered
104 Posts

I don't necessarily agree with all of these statements.

If you go camping in the winter, know your survival methods and plan for contingencies, but never sleep in the bed of a truck. I have gone camping in the winter many times. It honestly depends on if your prepared for it and I haven't ever gone somewhere in the winter that I didn't know my way around in the summertime.

I never go on huge hikes alone (more than 25-30 minutes) and never go without a radio or phone. So I wouldn't ever go camping alone....period. That is just inviting disaster.

·
Registered
463 Posts
that area does not normally get that much snow. It has been a waaaay above average year for snow in this neck of the woods. Hell it snowed more in those mountains last night and is going to tonight to

1 - 18 of 18 Posts