Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miami News, Fort Lauderdale News, Florida News & Weather Channel 7 Fox Miami WSVN-TV - Man shoots and kills suspected robber

Man shoots and kills suspected robber

Enlarge this image

WEST PARK, Fla. (WSVN) -- A man turned the tables on a would-be thief early Friday morning.
Broward Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a home along Southwest 41st Avenue and 19th Street in West Park.
The man told police he was returning home early Friday morning when he was approached from behind and held at gunpoint.
That man refused to be a victim and pulled out his own gun and opened fire killing the robber.
Police agree that it looks like self-defense, but the state attorney's office will investigate.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Good job on the homeowners part. 1BG off the street and we (taxpayers) dont have to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Thank the lord the man was carrying. This type of story re-enforces my decision to become Concealed Handgun Licensed. Maybe story of this will get out and some of the BG's cohorts will think twice about robbing the next Joe Homeowner.

Don

·
Registered
134 Posts
My old stomping grounds - and exactly why I moved from S. Fla. to Central Fla. It's not AS bad here, but it's trying to catch up. Any available islands in the South Pacific?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice. :)

Is such a thing legal in Florida? Can you shoot legally merely to protect someone from getting robbed? Or does it need to be a life-threatening situation?

Hopefully this "good samaritan" doesn't wind up getting screwed over . . . .
No idea what Florida law states, but they said a BB gun was found on the scene ... I'd have to GUESS that protecting the life of another is justifiable and a reasonable person could easily assume the BB gun was a "real" firearm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A shooting like this may just save another life. Hopefully another potential bad guy may think twice before attempting the same. This is a prime example of why CCW's are needed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Congratulations to the homeowner who chose not to be a victim, fought back, and WON!

G

·

Is such a thing legal in Florida? Can you shoot legally merely to protect someone from getting robbed? Or does it need to be a life-threatening situation?

In most areas of the country, even those without concealed carry laws (meaning they do not believe citizens should be able to equalize themselves with gun-wielding criminals or that women should just get raped because somehow, that is the right thing), defense of a third party can be ok given a few, very stringent circumstances.

It's a situation with a LOT of potential for something to go wrong, especially because unless you were witnessing the whole thing from beginning to end, there's no way you can be 100% certain what is going on, and you may end up hurting or killing the wrong person or worse.

·
Registered
210 Posts

from what i recall from my CCW class, you can defend sopmeone on their behalf in order to stop the commission of a felony. Basically, you assume their role. If they were armed and would want to defend themselves, you can on their behalf. You cannot, however, shoot a BG that is fleeing. Unfortunately, there's always a lawyer somewhere waiting to turn the victim(or samaritan) into the BG.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yea lots of potential for things to go wrong for the shooter legally speaking there. If he confronted the men trying to stop the robbery and they attacked him - even if they are unarmed - then he could have shot two of them. The 1:3 and 1:2 ratio creates a dispairity of force that is equalized with the addition of the handgun. When he got down to 1:1 and if the guy was unarmed and still wanted to fight, he should either flee (first choice) or go hand to hand with the BG.

Honestly the best choice if the robbery was a grab and run is to let it happen and then stay with the woman to act as a witness in her police report.

If one of them had that BB gun out during the robbery, he totally could have shot any one of them - even one who did not posses the BB gun - on sight during the robbery for the purpose of defending the life of the woman, not to stop the robbery. The reason he could shoot any of them, regardless if they were holding the BB gun or not is because it is assumed that a group of attackers shares the same criminal goal (and point of escallation) in an attack and has the potential to produce a life threatening device. Once again though, I would not shoot the last guy if he was visibly unarmed. You're covered legally better in the situation with the BB gun, but still not so good.

I read a lot of Massad Ayoob.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Another one from Florida:

Ocoee man, 91, shoots at, repels home invaders who threatened his wife

Charles Johnson is a man of his word.

On Oct. 4, 1936, then 19, Johnson promised to love and protect his bride, Berlie Mae.

On Tuesday, he did.

Now 91, he scared off two home invaders with his 38-caliber revolver when the men threatened his wife of 72 years at their home east of Ocoee.

Ocoee man, 91, shoots at, repels home invaders who threatened his wife -- OrlandoSentinel.com

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Now thats what I call old school. To bad everyone still doesn't practice it.

On Oct. 4, 1936, then 19, Johnson promised to love and protect his bride, Berlie Mae.

On Tuesday, he did.

Now 91, he scared off two home invaders with his 38-caliber revolver when the men threatened his wife of 72 years at their home east of Ocoee.

Ocoee man, 91, shoots at, repels home invaders who threatened his wife -- OrlandoSentinel.com

·
Registered
11,061 Posts

On Tuesday, he did.

Johnson is the man. :D

No hesitation, just a handful of gun and the nerve to use it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts