Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first AK and I love it!

... but here's my question. The action is INCREDIBLY loud. I've gotten complaints from my neighbors while doing slap and rack exercises. ( I live in an apartment.) I know that there's nothing I can do to reduce the "bang" without going through the hassle of getting a BATF stamp. But is there anything that can soften the "ka chink" of the action?

It's a Romy kit build (not a WASR or G-Kit) if that helps.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Yeah, there a really great way to make the action quieter. It's free and it only takes a second to do.

Put the gun away and practice at the range.

Seriously though, your neighbors don't like the noise and all semi-auto rifles have loud actions. Be respectful and only practice your drills when you're at the range.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
If you absolutely must practice at home hang some quilts or comforters up on all of the four walls and maybe open a window. This will reduce the sound heard coming out of the room, but not eliminate it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Tell your bitchy, uptight, over-sensitive neighbors that it is the sound of freedom and will not be silenced for the likes of them!!! That should do the trick!!! ;)

In all sincerity, MOVE! (or do what gsh341 said...just do slap & rack drills at the range and spare your poor neighbors that sweet sound of an AK action).

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
My nearest neighbor is 200 yards away. Send your AK to me, I will give him a good home. He will have lots of room to run and play, many playmates that look just like he does, all the Wolf Military Classic he can eat, and lots of Kentucky clay mud to cycle through his action. He will be very happy here!

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
First off, remove the cleaning rod, it makes a bunch of noise-like a tuning fork. Unless you have the slant brake,remove any muzzle device and install the thread protector. put a bunch of rubber bands or a rubber bunjie cord around the barrel to help absorb the vibes..now its time to go insde, look at all the shiny spots on the action. Take some Caracas cloth and polish them down till they look like chrome. Get a second top cover, scrub the inside really well and put felt on the inside with a good spray adhesive. Get some thin vinyl or leather and put at the front trunnion to absorb the impact from the bolt carrier, or put those tiny self adhesive cabinet 'door silencers/bumpers' on the bolt carrier face to stop/cushion the impact, just remove them before you go shooting, same with the felted top cover. if you feel really spunky, watch the action in the receiver and and look for open spots that you can install rubber plugs that will span from one side of the receiver to the other. Also grease the rails, oil is fine, but grease will take some of the slop out...bad side is that its a pain to clean up. other than that, turn up the radio, heres a good tune to drown out the sounds

YouTube - Drowned - AK47

1 - 8 of 8 Posts