Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to competition shooting.
I am wondering if major is 175 or 165,I have seen that it was 175 (possibly still is?) and that it was lowered to 165.

If major is indeed 165 now,how come it was lowered from 175? Just wondering.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it depends on the class. Open vs. Everything Else. (Warning I don't shoot IPSC so I'm just going by what I have read).

Edit: It's based on Division, not class: The Handgun Divisions List
Thanks a million! I book marked the link.

Soooo many rules,I better start reading! lol!:lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Outside the US, I think the Major PF is 170. Inside the US it's 165. I have no idea why, maybe for hot-loaded .38 Super?

·
Registered
435 Posts
38 super has a lot of primer flow problems at 175 thats one major reason why they changed the power factor to 165. It is also a lot easier for women to shoot at 165.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes,major is scored higher than minor power factor

·
Registered
349 Posts
USPSA (US division of IPSC) had a power factor of 175 for many years in both open and limited. In open the round of choice was a 38 super based casing loaded very hot. In limited the 40 was only really successful in wide body 1911 platform guns with a custom chambering allowing a loaded OAL of 1.200-1.250.

A while back many open competitors were campaigning to allow the 9mm Luger so they could use cheaper brass. The USPSA determined that custom “race” guns could be easily built to handle 9mm Luger loaded to a power factor of 165. On the limited side lowering the limited power factor to the same 165 would allow many guns (namely the Glock) to compete with a margin of safety when they were loaded to a standard factory OAL.

The USPSA took some member surveys and after tabulating the results and debating it to death they lowered the power factor to 165 some years ago.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
38 super has a lot of primer flow problems at 175 thats one major reason why they changed the power factor to 165. It is also a lot easier for women to shoot at 165.
The difference in recoil between 175 and 165 does not affect women any more then men. That argument is bogus.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
IPSC Open division PF is 160IPSC Standard and Modified Divisions are both 170PF.USPSA Major PF is 165 for all Divisions that can declare that Power Factor(Open, Limited, Lim10, Revolver, and Single Stack). Minor PF is 125 for Both sports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts