Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying some bulk ammo for range shooting. I haven't shot either, and don't really know anything about either of the companies. I was curious who has had experience with either of the brands.

Sellier & Bellot seems to be a decent amount cheaper for large amounts, so I'm kind of hoping that people report having absolutely no problems with that ammo :).

Now that I think about it.... I'll throw PMC bronze into the mix also, it's about the same price as magtech

Thanks in advance for the reviews of the ammo!

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Never had problems with S&B. I heard that a lot of people don't like Magtech but I never had any problems. You might want to try a box of each to see how your gun likes it before buying a case.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I haven't shot Magtech in a while, but I remember it to be kinda cheap and dirty. PMC is pretty good and pretty clean, but I have noticed the occasional weak round. I've shot some S&B recently and liked it a lot - very consistent and clean. It's usually cheap, too. My local Cabela's had 50-round boxes of 9mm for $9.99 recently. I should have bought 500 rounds. Foolish of me. Would have only cost me $100. Price went up to $13.99. Damn....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never had problems with S&B. I heard that a lot of people don't like Magtech but I never had any problems. You might want to try a box of each to see how your gun likes it before buying a case.
I most certainly agree with this statement. Some guns can be very picky with what ammo you use. Buy a couple of boxes of 50 for each and see if you have any issues with either one of them. I can pretty much guarantee you won't have issues with the S&B though. Pretty good cheap ammo.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My M1 Carbine loves S&B, and its a finicky gun. It won't even think about loading steel cased ammo. Brass only. S&B is one of the few relatively inexpensive .30 carbine loads available.

Currently,(for all my guns) I have been avoiding remington ammo. Their standards have gone downhill. I had two dets with the their umc .30carbine and 1 det in .40. Damaged the hell out of my m1's extrator, firing pin, etc. XD was fine thankfully.

Never shot Magtech before, probably never will. I've heard too much bad stuff about it.

I've had good luck with Federal FMJ's from walmart.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have used magtech and its just dirty thats the only thing bad about it i use a lot of pmc

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I also prefer S&B because it is loaded a little hotter. Cabelas I used to live real close to had the Magtech shootin size 250 round boxes on sale all the time and I would shoot alot of it. Never had a problem from any gun with it and it is alot cleaner than WWB by a long shot.

For plinking both are great. The magtech hollowpoints are mostly cosmetic and I rarely get any of them to expand in critters. S&B hollowpoints do expand reliabley

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have used all three numerous times... PMC Bronze, Sellier & Bellot and Magtech. All available in 115 grain in 9mm. You can even throw in Blazer in the mix.

They are all quality cheap factory ammo. PMC Bronze seems a little underpowered compared to the rest and Sellier & Bellot being favorite.

I have seen Sellier & Bellot 115 grain for the 9mm for a little less than 11 bucks online but they average around 13 bucks at my local range.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't shoot much factory stuff any more, but when I did I found that out of the three you listed:

I got best accuracy from the Magtech, followed by the PMC, and then the S&B.

Cleanliness listed from cleanest to dirtiest: PMC, S&B, and Magtech.

All were 100% reliable.

For reloading, Magtech and PMC brass is fine. S&B sucks like a Hoover. (Even if you don't reload, you can recoup some of your ammo expenses by selling your once-fired brass or make a reloading friend very happy with a gift of it.)

My preference out of your selection would be for the PMC, but if you can get Speer Lawman for a similar price consider it strongly. It is clean, accurate, and powerful, and the brass is great for reloading.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
surplusammo.com has 1000 rounds of magtech at $194, S&B at $180, and magtech at $221.

500 round orders are almost the same per round, I think I'm going to put in an order for 500 magtechs and 500 S&Bs, see which one I like more.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Shot 200 rounds of S&B over the weekend. Both the XD and the S&W revolver love it. Of 100 rounds of .38 and 100 rounds of .40 not a single bad primer, ftf, fte or stovepipe. $13 for 100 rds .38, $15 for 100 of .40 at my range.

·
Registered
403 Posts
surplusammo.com has 1000 rounds of magtech at $194, S&B at $180, and magtech at $221.

500 round orders are almost the same per round, I think I'm going to put in an order for 500 magtechs and 500 S&Bs, see which one I like more.
Surplus Ammo also has a slight price break on 2000 rounds of S&B, at $350 (a $10 savings). Great price for new factory brass-cased ammo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really like magtech. Never had a issue with S&B in 9mm but I don't get why people think magtech is dirtier. That red seal aroung the primer of S&B makes a mess and gets in every small crack of my guns. It's worse than wolf when it comes to dirty. S&B in 380 I experianced several issues. Never had any problems with PMC either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.