Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in to our local gun shop here in Lakeville Mn, to pick up 200 rounds for target, "new/used XD-40" he told me to get the magtech, cheap and decent, so i took his advice and bought 4 boxes. almost every 5 or 6 rounds it jammed!!! I was pissed, I had it out yesterday with some federal and had no issues at all. I also read in here that the earlier 40's had jamming issues. So would you think the ammo over the gun "being it fired perfect with the federal, or is it the 40's jamming issue?

Tim

PS- first post! Help a newb out!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I found Magtech functioned pretty goon in my XD-40 Tactical. I picked up a few of the 250 rd packs. It was the 180 grain FMC bullets and when I chronographed them they were the lowest velocity factory 180 grain bullet I could find that still made Major for USPSA shooting. I used them untill I started reloading.

None-the-less I would bet is was the ammunition. My XD-40 Service hates Blazer Brass 165 grain loads. If there are more than six rounds in a magazine my XD-40 choke on them almost every time.

Maybe polish the feed ramp if you have not done so already. Also make sure you magazines are clean. Dirty magazine can occasionally cause feed problems and if the Magtech ammo is already marginal it could be the cause.

FWIW
mcb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Guys,
For what it's worth, I've put about 400 rounds of Magtech 165gr thru my XD-40 Service with NO PROBLEMS at all. I've also run thru 200 rounds of Wally World Winchester with no issue but that stuff leaves the gun filthy and shoots low. I'll be using Magtech exclusively at the range unless I find somthing better for the money.
Be Safe!
Jimmy D

·
Registered
889 Posts
tim12232 said:
So I went in to our local gun shop here in Lakeville Mn, to pick up 200 rounds for target, "new/used XD-40" he told me to get the magtech, cheap and decent, so i took his advice and bought 4 boxes. almost every 5 or 6 rounds it jammed!!! I was pissed, I had it out yesterday with some federal and had no issues at all. I also read in here that the earlier 40's had jamming issues. So would you think the ammo over the gun "being it fired perfect with the federal, or is it the 40's jamming issue?

Tim

PS- first post! Help a newb out!
Tim
I know the factory rep, he's a local shooter in MN, if you want someone to yell at.
What area are you in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my first trip out I fired a hundred rounds of magtech, and about 75 rounds of WWB. I had no problems with either of them. Maybe I just got lucky. On a side note I am noticing there are quite a few members from MN. I think we should try and get together and go to the range.

-Josh

·
Registered
889 Posts
VICIOUS said:
On my first trip out I fired a hundred rounds of magtech, and about 75 rounds of WWB. I had no problems with either of them. Maybe I just got lucky. On a side note I am noticing there are quite a few members from MN. I think we should try and get together and go to the range.

-Josh
What part of Mpls are you in?
I'm over in Roseville.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually I am in lakeville. I just use Mpls as a reference point. No one outside of Minnesota knows where Lakeville is. But I work nights Monday thru Thursday, so I am usually free on weekends. We should try to set something up.

-Josh

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's your gun and ammo combo.

Somewhere out there is a guy w a XD40 that will not work w Federal ammo...

That's called Tao/Dao. Universal harmony. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use Magtechs in my 1911 and my XD9SC, and they work great. Much cleaner shooting than WWB, though just a shade more expensive than the 100rd bargain packs at Wally World. I love em.

I haven't had a chance to try any of the Magtech defense loads, but I'll probably buy a box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts