Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my RIA won't let mags drop free. They seem to be getting held up at the top part of the frame, right when they touch metal again after going through the grip area. Does it with two different mags (which drop free from my SA GI). It almost feels like the mag catch is causing this, although it looks to be clearing the frame just fine. Seems as though if you pressed it just right they would drop/insert fine.

Any easy way to fix this?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Did u swap out grips recently? I've read on another post a similar problem and the grip screws were the culprit. Btw which mags are u using? Novak/ACT?

·
Registered
968 Posts
The follower may be jumping the slide stop. Take the slide stop out and see if they drop free.
There could also be some flashing on the release that is causing your grief. Remove the mag catch then see if your mags move in and out freely.
A misshaped trigger bow could cause problems also.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Does it have an oversized botton? If it does, there should be an allen screw holding it in the release or it should just unscrew. To remove the release from the frame, depress the release and turn the screw on the opposite side 1/4 turn. It should fall out.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured out the screw on the other side, but the button doesn't have an allen screw in it...I've really put some balls into turning the knob, too.

I'll give it another go and see. Doesn't look like the mag catch, though. With it stripped this far it seems that the mag starts catching just before the release.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mark one of the mags with a marks-a-lot and insert it a few times. You'll see where to look inside the gun.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the mag release out. Interesting enough it looks like the button was screwed directly into the old release...someone just drilled a hole into the old one and screwed in the larger one. I would've figured you'd just get a whole new unit...

But the mag release isn't it. I threw some silver sharpie on the mag and found it's mostly hitting at the very front of the mag. The whole front of the mag is hitting something (literally the full length of the mag) and about an inch at the very top-right side of the mag (if you're looking straight at the front, it's where it transitions from the front to the side of the body).

·
Registered
63 Posts
from the way you describe it, it sounds like one or more of your grip screws is too long, drop the magazine out and lock the slide back, then run your fingers up and down along the insides of the magazine well and if the screw sticks into the magazine well it needs some filing down, or just shorter screws, or small washers on the screws you have, to space them out from the magwell that couple of thousandths, like on a SIG 220

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Joey,
Are you a member over at m1911.org??? They have a section of their forum dedicated to RIA. They also have a company rep over there. His name is Ivan and this is his e-mail; [email protected]. Drop him a line I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you out!!! Good luck!!! Sorry I couldn't be more help...all I know about 1911's is that I want one bad and I love shooting them!!!

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Well you could always just wrap a mag or run your finger in and out of the mag well with some very mild grit sandpaper and see if that loosens stuff up.

I know alot of times it takes a bit of working to get the mags to just drop out (maybe the finish is a bit thick/rough on the inside)

I bought some of those el-cheapo $7 mags that were parkerized...they were very sticky until I ran them thru the magwell about 15 times apiece (and the finish of the mags wore down a bit)...I have since then bought a fistful of Chip McCormick stainless match mags that have NO problems...but they don't have any finish other than being stainless

Over tightened grip screws usually are the biggest culprit that cause sticky mags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts