Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm sure it's a simple process, but just wondering how easy it is to change out the straight trigger guard with the magpul polymer V guard. Is it just punching out the pins and re installing the new one....looks a little tricky. Words of advice?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The front is a set screw, and the rear is a standard roll pin. Not hard to install, just make sure you have something to support the "ears" at the rear of the trigger guard. I have heard of people bending them or breaking them off, I don't have any hard evidence of that, but just be careful. I installed mine as part of my LPK, so I didn't have to remove a stock one, but I think removing the original might be the hardest part.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Removing the original isnt hard at all. Knock the pins out, being careful not to bend the "ears". The MagPul trigger guard comes with a screw and a pin. It's pretty self explainatory, but if you need some help it comes with instructions :D Took all of about 3 minutes to change out.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If you are removing a standard trigger guard, there is only 1 pin in the rear.

The front, you simply push in the detent and it will slide down/out.

In fact, the original trigger guard will swing down out of the way entirely if you're using gloves unlike the aftermarket trigger guard.

Try it before you replace it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at it closer and have it figured out now. The new guard is on order and in one customer review, the guy actually drilled out the front pin holes and made it to swing down also. May give that a try, now that I see how it all works. Too much info for a damn trigger guard! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at it closer and have it figured out now. The new guard is on order and in one customer review, the guy actually drilled out the front pin holes and made it to swing down also. May give that a try, now that I see how it all works. Too much info for a damn trigger guard! Thanks again.
NO! Do not drill, just install as normal, it comes with directions and is simple, just pins, in and out 7 mins. You will love it, I have the aluminum one and it works great with gloves! NO DRILLING!!! :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Noooo drilling!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The front is a set screw, and the rear is a standard roll pin. Not hard to install, just make sure you have something to support the "ears" at the rear of the trigger guard. I have heard of people bending them or breaking them off, I don't have any hard evidence of that, but just be careful. I installed mine as part of my LPK, so I didn't have to remove a stock one, but I think removing the original might be the hardest part.
I know a guy who builds custom rifles for the Army, he has broken the ears before, and wont do it anymore on anyones personal rifle for fear of breaking the ears. Actually the reason I wont change my trigger guard. Kinda worries me if someone who builds them for a living has that much trouble doing it.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Mine went just fine, I drilled a 3/16" hole in a 2 x 4 for support with clearance.....worked just fine.

Roll pin punches are a big help

I have heard of ears breaking, I think its a combination of not being supported and having a small weak spot on the ear

·
Registered
335 Posts
The replacement Magpul Roll Pin is VERY tough to get started...I actually have a hairline crack behind the trigger now from too much force. I just reused the Orginal Roll Pin and it was much easier to install. Super-Pissed about the blemish now, but I covered with small square of Electric Tape in the hopes of forgetting about it. New trigger guard looks awesome.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The replacement Magpul Roll Pin is VERY tough to get started...I actually have a hairline crack behind the trigger now from too much force. I just reused the Orginal Roll Pin and it was much easier to install. Super-Pissed about the blemish now, but I covered with small square of Electric Tape in the hopes of forgetting about it. New trigger guard looks awesome.
Exact thing happend to me, the magpul roll pin is garbage. My spikes pin went in like butter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts