Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on building another rifle but it's going to have some Dark Earth highlights. I figured I'd pick them up before they were all gone for a very long time. Well, anyways I finally got them in today. I opened up the box and they really aren't what I was expecting. I really thought they would be lighter and more of a true "sand" color. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way or if maybe this were dyed wrong. I'm not really sure since I've never seen any in person. I've just them in pictures. It's pretty hard to capture the color on my P&S camera. I'm going to try to take them out in the sunlight tomorrow and see if they look any different though. I really thought they were green when I got them. I've started to notice less of a green and more of a tan but it's still not as light as I thought ... Anyways, here are some pictures. What do you guys think?

This is my magazine. The flash actually made it look a lot lighter, IMO.

This is right from Magpul ...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on ... No one has any input?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I see what you mean Thumper. The pic from MagPul makes them look lighter than they really are. However, not to sound like a a$$ but the color is called....DARK earth???? I'm sure you could exchange them if you felt it was necessary.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that the color is called Dark Earth but I was under the assumption it was lighter, especially after looking at the photos that Magpul shows. I'm more concerned if this is right or wrong, normal or not normal. I don't want to order my Magpul grip and stock and get something a completely different color ...

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are a few threads floating around AR15.com on this subject. For whatever reason it seem that the FDE accessories have a lot of variation in color from different manufacturers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had a lot to do with keeping you loyal once you buy the first piece.

That pic is pretty misleading though. I'll have my foliage green AR done soon if Magpul ever gets me my backordered XTM panels, and I have the same worries. I'm hoping since I already have the foliage Pmags that the color will match. We shall see....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed it. See that's my main and only concern is that the other things like the grip and stock match. I really don't mind the color being different than what I had thought. It'd just look kind of stupid with black and two 'Dark Earth' colors. :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't worry too much about it. An AR in tan or FDE that is all matching is a rare sight indeed. If anyone gives you crap about it, crack them over the head with the buttstock :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahaha, well we'll find out soon.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
If you have all Magpul FDE stuff, it should all match. My last AR had Magpul rail covers, mags, grip, and stock and they were damn near identical in color.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Color perception varies greatly particularly when looking at online photos. There are a million variables that come into place. Lighting, your pc monitor, and camera settings just to name a few.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completely agree Nikon777 that's why in my OP, I even mentioned it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If someone can actualy see a tint difference then great but they shold be fine. Don't sweat it.

On another note i dont know where "flat Dark Earth" came from but in Man colors thats F*****g tan.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree ..., maybe even a 'Sand'. :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its a good reason to get into the hobby of duracoating (or other like finishing). Its not expensive to start out, and its really fun to do. That way everything will match and you can buy whatever color is in stock of magazines, stocks, pistol grips etc....

DuraCoat Firearm Finishes

·
Registered
367 Posts
when I first received my XTM panels from magpul before the rest of my build I thought the same thing. they looked too dark to be FDE, but as I built my rifle I came to like the flat look over that of the more tan colored items from other manufactuers.

Light can also play a difference in what they color looks like. these 3 pics are taken in different rooms with different light at different times of the day/night. they color scheme looks different to me in each of them but when I have the rifle in my hand I cannot tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts