Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for my first 1911, and came across the Magnum Research one. Anyone own one of have direct experience firing one? I was looking at the springfields and new ruger but I want something a little different, plus its in my "entry level" price range.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I did some searching a few months ago because my FFL had one. Looks to be a good gun it was a design that a custom shop came up with, they guy contracted the company to build it and they took the design and did not keep it exclusive. Some say it put the custom shop out of business and thus some hate this gun because of that. Other wise you will find a lot of good things about it. I was going to buy it, but the price the guy had wasn't as good as I thought it was so I passed. Not sure that I would pick this over the Range officer and I think they are about the same price.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Andy_PHA said:
I did some searching a few months ago because my FFL had one. Looks to be a good gun it was a design that a custom shop came up with, they guy contracted the company to build it and they took the design and did not keep it exclusive. Some say it put the custom shop out of business and thus some hate this gun because of that. Other wise you will find a lot of good things about it. I was going to buy it, but the price the guy had wasn't as good as I thought it was so I passed. Not sure that I would pick this over the Range officer and I think they are about the same price.
What was the price u were given?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
When I went to fill out paper work for my transfer I thought the tag said something like $650 when I went back to pick up I looked at it again and I think it was more like $750 or maybe more. They had some on gunbroker in the $600 range IIRC. The only thing I realy didn't like about it was the huge desert eagle writing on the left side.
I think it's worth looking at, but I'd also look close at the RO or the new Ruger.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
What I have heard is good. Some BS about charles daly being the original importer, but got screwed out of it. Doesn't really matter since MR is the one manufacturing it.

I looked into them a few months ago as well. Seem great product for thr low price, around $525 on GB when I was looking.

So it is this, Remington or Rugers new 1911 (Ruger looks very promising) for the price. And I agree, the billboard size name on the slide was a mistake. I do really like the unique sights on the Magnum Res.

I like the difference of having a MR 1911, so i would go for it. 2nd would be the Ruger...just me personally

·
Registered
59 Posts
The one I shot at the range sure seemd to be a good pistol. As good as or better than most in that price range.

That billboard message on the slide can go as other have said.

Magnum Research is owned by Kahr Arms.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The one I shot at the range sure seemd to be a good pistol. As good as or better than most in that price range.

That billboard message on the slide can go as other have said.

Magnum Research is owned by Kahr Arms.
They are NOW owned by Kahr. But they are still manufactured over seas, not made by Kahr in the US.
Still, a dang fine 1911

·
Registered
691 Posts
I shot one at the range a few months ago. It immediately went to the top of my short list for 1911s, but there are a couple others I want to shoot also. The crew at the range were raving about it too. It was extremely accurate, beautiful trigger, felt good in my hand. I would highly recommend shooting one if you can.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
yeah all the reviews I saw on it were good, if the price would have been closer to what I thought they were I probably would have gotten it, but it was over $100 more than I thought and quite a bit more than what I saw on GB so I passed. I'm still not ready to fork out the extra cash for .45 ammo anyway so I went the other direction and bought a buckmark for cheap target practice.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Everything I heard or read was positive but I would go with the Range Officer myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Everything I hear and read seems positive as well. I'm just not a fan of the billboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have to agree, no billboard advertising on my 1911, please.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts