Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a really cheap optic on my AK to find out if it the accuracy enhancement over distance was good enough to warrant getting a nicer/more expensive scope.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on whether or not you think its worth the money to put a good combat scope on an AK47, or if you think its wasted money.

The jury is still out on my new scope BTW.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Personally I never liked the way the weight of a scope threw off the balance of my AK's. I will say my converted Saiga with a TRS25 on a side mount prints the same groups as my AR with an EOTech at 50 yards. Having played around with them I don't think I'd go farther than a red dot on my AK's anymore, but they were fun to play with and those groups really do tighten up.

·
Premium Member
127,988 Posts
The ballistics of the 7.62x39 are not really compatible with expensive glass, IMO.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I only run red dots on my ak's. I have other rifles for longer range.
I did mount a scope on my AK 74 once and it was fun and my groups did tighten up.
But it didn't compare to my AR's for accuracy . I could see a 2 or 3 power scope on a AK, Just not for me.

Reactions: AR180B

·
Registered
163 Posts
I say go both if your AK has a side mount; all it takes is 10 seconds to swap optics. That being said I prefer just an Aimpoint on an AK47.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can hit easier what I can see better, in general. So I could see magnified optics on an AK, but I wouldn't attempt a precision setup at all.

With really cheap optics, you might actually become less accurate. Even a TRS-25 opens up groups at 300yd because of it's larger dot. I'm also not that fond of, nor skilled with, the open sights that AK's use in general.

A quality optic should tighten up groups and help you get shots off faster.

But ya, it won't be as easy and effective as putting optics on an AR.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can hit easier what I can see better, in general. So I could see magnified optics on an AK, but I wouldn't attempt a precision setup at all.

With really cheap optics, you might actually become less accurate. Even a TRS-25 opens up groups at 300yd because of it's larger dot. I'm also not that fond of, nor skilled with, the open sights that AK's use in general.

A quality optic should tighten up groups and help you get shots off faster.

But ya, it won't be as easy and effective as putting optics on an AR.

I have no illusions about an AK being a precision rifle, or any where near as accurate as an AR. But I am looking to open up the effective range.
I have gotten the scope zeroed and had a few range sessions with it. I have been impressed by the potential. I have been getting about 5-6 inch groups at 200 yds. I am no great marksman, and this ain't no precision rifle, but I think the results, for me at least, show that getting a decent combat optic would be worth the money.
I am looking at getting a POSP or a PSO. They are designed for Russian made guns, and I have heard they compliment the platform well.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I have no illusions about an AK being a precision rifle, or any where near as accurate as an AR. But I am looking to open up the effective range.
I have gotten the scope zeroed and had a few range sessions with it. I have been impressed by the potential. I have been getting about 5-6 inch groups at 200 yds. I am no great marksman, and this ain't no precision rifle, but I think the results, for me at least, show that getting a decent combat optic would be worth the money.
I am looking at getting a POSP or a PSO. They are designed for Russian made guns, and I have heard they compliment the platform well.
to a point it is, but a 4x-6x is about the max for the x39. You'll only be spending money for the optic's clarity. A $2000 Zeiss will do nothing more then a $200 Vortex on an AK. Sure you can hit past 400m, but it makes no sense because you will end up with erratic groups. Now if you load the optimim round for it and spend all that time to get decent groups, an SKS will come up and print better.

And i'm not putting your weapon choice down, but stay cheap with an optic on that Romanian. They tend to act like Mini-14s and stat to string when they get that thin barrel hot. And you'd be better off with a 1/7 vortex scope the the PSO/PSOP. If you do get one, find one with Simonov (400m) scale instead of the Dragunov (1000m). it is less cluttered and quicker to use. the MOA is the same between the 54R and x39 in these scopes when zeroed at 100m.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I have, and will take all of your input into consideration. As always, it is a pleasure to tap the collective experience and knowledge of the members here.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
My AK with iron's was more accurate then my AR with a red dot .... go figure.

waste of money

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
My AK with iron's was more accurate then my AR with a red dot .... go figure.

waste of money
no, you just shot the AK better. The AK on irons will NOT print as tight as an AR with a dot if you are doing your part. I'm pretty good with my 74s. i have gone point for point/fraction for fraction with ARs on irons to 130m. my irons vs an AR with a dot (a real one, not that airsoft crap) that is zeked correctly...notch and post will lose. Been there, done that...it was close...

·
Registered
24 Posts
My eyesight won't play nice with me and I can't reliably use the rear sight on an AK. So I went with the Russian low mount and put a Tasco 2.5 power shotgun scope on it. It may sound cheap but the scope is near bullet proof. There are no buttons to push on and off, and if you rough it up it is only about 40.00 to replace. BTW, this is on an Arsenal SGL21.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
My eyesight won't play nice with me and I can't reliably use the rear sight on an AK. So I went with the Russian low mount and put a Tasco 2.5 power shotgun scope on it. It may sound cheap but the scope is near bullet proof. There are no buttons to push on and off, and if you rough it up it is only about 40.00 to replace. BTW, this is on an Arsenal SGL21.

Where did you get that rail mount?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's the BP-02 Weaver low mount centered. All I did to it was loosen all of the screws, loc-tite them and tighten back. It's a pretty good mount.

Side Mounts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I've been very happy with the optics on my Saiga/AK clone. Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 1.5-4.5x 32mm Wide Angle Multi-X Reticle It wasn't terribly expensive and is great for everything from up-close to mid-range targets. I'm using it with a quick-release side mount.
I have that scope on a couple of rifles and I like it a lot. It does everything I want it to do.

As for my AK's, I just don't shoot them at long distances. Most of mine are bare bones. If I am shooting for distances over 100 or maybe 150 yards I generally am using something else. I have a .270 Ruger for reaching out and touching someone that doesn't get shot enough as it is. If I get the chance to shoot longer shots I break out the safe queen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
7.62 X 39 isn't a round that is very compatible with optics. The "rainbow" trajectory will make your head hurt playing with drop over even 4oo meters. Why do you think they put the adjustable elevation on them and the SKS.

That said, if your eye sight is beginning to fail, or you have a difficult time with the sights and keep your expectations within reason. an optic is a good investment. High end? Well, it is up to you.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
7.62 X 39 isn't a round that is very compatible with optics. The "rainbow" trajectory will make your head hurt playing with drop over even 4oo meters. Why do you think they put the adjustable elevation on them and the SKS.

That said, if your eye sight is beginning to fail, or you have a difficult time with the sights and keep your expectations within reason. an optic is a good investment. High end? Well, it is up to you.
Huh?? They put an adjustable elevation on ARs, FALs, CETME/HK, M1A, Vz 58, Vz52....just about all self loading rifles. And yes, the x39 does have a rainbow trajectory and it is VERY easy to compensate for. No different then if you were shooting 300BO, 6.8SPC, 7.62x45, 7.62x54R, 308, and even 5.56 and 5,45. I have run AKMs with optics just fine to 600m. Ideal, not at all-doable, very.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some of the newer optics take the x39 "rainbow" into effect. I have a Bushnell 1-4x with the Simonov Recticle on my Saiga SGL21-61, and it's dead on out to 400yds. It takes a little getting used to. I have it zeroed for the Yugo M67 round, and others are pretty close.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Long post? Our Saiga 16" bbl 7.62x51 rifle likes optics. The left side receiver has the factory rail for a side/top scope mount. The mount on the receiver had to be removed and shimmed side to side and up and down to center the scope. Way off.

Corrective shimming was fun and easy. The Saiga will print well inside 3" at 100 yards with good ammo and our old Leopold 1x4x20 scope. The factory irons are horrible. A cheapo red dot sight is on the rifle right now. A smaller scope.

The first scope was a Eoteck. It got returned to the factory for a refund. A nicer red dot scope better than the one on the rifle is planned. Right now no money so we use what we have. Hopefully the budget will allow a kinda nice red dot. Works fine.

Our setup allows the stock top cover to come off without disturbing the mount or scope. The red dot allows very fast snap shots. It seems anywhere inside about 200 yards the red dot has a snap shot advantage over a standard scope. Just us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts