Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the MAGLOC® Tactical Recoil Control Thumb Rest for the XD40. Have any of you tried it? James sells it at his store, and it has caught my interest.

I've never shot a 1911 with a thumb rest. So I have no experience to base a purchase decision on.

See: http://www.xd-hs2000.com/grips.html (at the bottom)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Everyone says NO to mouse ears.

Tactical? Hahahaha

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have one on my XD9 and enjoy it thoroughly. Thes old hands are used to 1911s and the familiar rest just kind of needs to be there.

I did trim them to a size and shape that suited me better, as a matter of fact I assumed that they started out oversize just so you could customize.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Somebody post a picture of this. I have old 1911 hand too and sometimes the tip of my thumb touches the slide release just enough to prevent it from locking open after the last shot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - Now I know that they're referred to affectionately by some as "mouse ears". (There's always something new to learn.:) )

This is an image of the thumb rest. The GripPlus memory groove is a separate product.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I wanted to wait until others chimed in but.

Not everyone says no, becuase I do sell them. Most as stated use a high thumb grip ala 1911 and like them enough that no one has ever called me back and returned one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How a modification fits into my concealed carry practice is very important, since the XD40 is my main carry firearm. I just noticed that the thumb rest would interfere with my Comp-Tac holster's sweat guard. Even if it didn't, it might rub in my right side while in the holster. (I wonder if a 1911 safety digs into the ribs with side carry?)

Anyway, if I try the MAGLOC thumb rest, all of the tab on the right side of the gun is going to be ground off so that it is completely flat. The tab on the thumb side of the pistol (my left) might be reshaped and reduced a bit if there is a rubbing problem.

I like to experiment with this kind of thing if it might improves my shooting. If it doesn't work, then I just remove it and appreciate the experience.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Shooting in IDPA, I noticed a tendency for my thumb to "look for" the safety, so I decided to give it a try. Once I had it in my hand I could tell it was way too big and that I would have to trim it.

I mounted it on the gun and then measured the protrusion of my 1911s safeties. I drew a line, with an X-acto scribe, at the same distance from the slide as the 1911s safeties, and then, very carefully, step by step, a little at a time, trimmed the ears down with a dremel.

Once I reached the same dimensions as my 1911s, I found that it was still a little large on the XD, so I took off a millmeter at a time until it was comfortable. The I reshaped it a little until it was even more comfortable and now I hardly notice that they are there.

BTW, two things, first they never interfered with holstering or my clothes when they were full size. Second, the right hand ear had to be trimmed to begin with because it interfered with my very high hold on the gun, it actually abraded my right index knuckle when shooting, and I had to trim it even more then the left later for the same reason.

Therefore I give them my limited endorsement.

I also have the grip safety extension, and WILL be trimming it some as it sticks out too far too. And I used to get problems with the original grip safety, again because of my high hold, but it protrudes just far enough to make the grip slightly uncomfortable. I just haven't procrastinated about it long enough.

·
Registered
259 Posts

so bottom line.. is this thing worth it or is our guns good enough on its own?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts