Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to a local gun show tomorrow to see about getting the parts to finish my AR. I plan on buying some mags but I'm not sure to look for. I know I want 20 and 30 rounds. The last gun show there were tons of them but some looked very generic. What do I need to look for if I come across a bunch of surplus mags to make sure I'm getting ones that will work?

Also my local gun shop has a bunch of 20 and 30 round Tapcos. I don't know if they are the teflon coated ones though. They have the green followers in them. Are these good mags?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
367 Posts
if they are USGI mags that you are looking at, make sure they have at least the green followers.

outside of that if you have 13-17$ per mag I'd go with Pmags from magpul.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
If your shows are like the ones here, mags are way over priced. They usually want $15 to $20 a mag for the same ones you can order over the net for $10.

Pmags are probably the best thing going, but nothing wrong with USGI aluminum mags, Tapco and Brownells are USGI suppliers nowdays along with others.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any of the new USGI mags will have the green followers. The old black ones go way back.

yeah, I still see a few booths that have boxes of used USGI mags with the old black followers.

the shows in Dallas tend to have tables that will overprice new and used USGI mags 14-20$, but there are a few that I see that will have a box or 2 of used mags with green followers going for 8-10$. colt mags are usually always overpriced.

the Pmags are always the same price there, usually 15$ for non-window and 17-18 for windowed mags.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just FYI, I ordered a few from CProducts about a month ago. I called to find out the status and they emailed me back saying that they haven't been shipped yet, then asked what I ordered! I'm still going back and forth with them about it all.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
44mag.com

I ordered some from there and will order more in the future.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I can get several of the USGI mags with black followers pretty cheap can I get the enhanced Magpul followers and upgrade them?

·
Registered
395 Posts
44mag.com
This is where I get the vast majority of my mags. Awesome company, with good selection, quick shipping, and good prices.

PMAGS are good, but I like the USGI mags w/ Magpul followers better. I've never had a problem with them, and if I do, they're a few bucks cheaper per mag to replace. I also like the way the USGI gray teflon-coated D&H mags look, even though that has nothing to do with how they function, just a personal preference.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So guys is there any difference bt the different color followers. I use CProducts with the orange followers and have had no problems with them. I've put about 2k rounds thru 4 of them this yr

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
So if I can get several of the USGI mags with black followers pretty cheap can I get the enhanced Magpul followers and upgrade them?
Yes, if you can get them for $5 or $6. Depending on where you get the Magpul followers from they run about $2 a piece. Then if the springs are weak you should replace them also. Springs run a couple bux. So if you can save more than a buck or two, it is worth it, if not new USGI mags with Magpuls already installed are $11.95 at Bravo Company. And $9.99 at 44mag.com.

I'm in the proccess of changing out the green followers in my USGI mags to Gen 3 Magpul followers. Just got another batch of 20 in the mail today from Bravo Company :cool:

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
So guys is there any difference bt the different color followers. I use CProducts with the orange followers and have had no problems with them. I've put about 2k rounds thru 4 of them this yr

Those orange followers are probably Gen 2 Magpuls if they look like these in this pic.

There was also a version of the USGI green follower in orange.
They look like the regular green ones but in orange.

·
Registered
58 Posts
44MAG is a great place to order from. I've spend more than a few hundred dollars with them.

That being said, I just placed an order with a company I just found. They offer D&H teflon coated mags with Gen III Magpul followers. Price is 10 for $100 shipped. They have their own base plate branding, but the mags are produced and assembled by D&H.

Here is the site. DSG Arms.-

DSG Arms: Grey Teflon coated 30 round anti-tilt AR15 M16 magazine - 10 Pack

They offer black or gray teflon.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went and saw several but didn't buy any. They were anywhere from 12 to 17 dollars each. And most were USGI with the black followers. I did buy a DPMS lower parts kit and a carry handle. I want a 16 inch midlength flattop upper and the only one I found was 895 bucks. Saw several 16 inch carbine length but thats not what I want. I am going to order next week from Del-Ton if they have them in stock.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Those orange followers are probably Gen 2 Magpuls if they look like these in this pic.

There was also a version of the USGI green follower in orange.
They look like the regular green ones but in orange.

Thanks for the pic. I checked my CProducts and they look like the 3rd gen

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
has anyone mentioned picking up Pmags:cool:

they rock not to mention you can color coordinate then with your furniture by buying it all from magpul and they will match spot on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
has anyone mentioned picking up Pmags:cool:

they rock not to mention you can color coordinate then with your furniture by buying it all from magpul and they will match spot on.

yeah we did.

man I was about 20 minutes late at the local gunshow yesterday... lady was selling new windowed pmags for 13.95, I bought the last one she had for the day. I asked if she'd be back today with same price she said no, they'd be back to 16.95 tomorrow. So I know own 1 windowed Pmag.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts