Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how many magazines is enough? I only have two and feel challenged by some reports. Just curious. Mike in Fremont. Ca.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Don't base your choices on what others have. I have four magazines for each of my XDs. I only really use two at the range if I'm only doing lane shooting but I load up and bring eight 16 round 9mm magazines when I go to IDPA matches.

·
Registered
541 Posts
When you consider there is a very good chance of another AWB if Obama gets into the White House, which is looking likely at this point, buying as many high capacity magazines as you can afford prior to that is the prudent thing to do in my opinion.

During the last AWB I saw $18 Glock magazines go for $160 over night for those left in the pipeline. I have been preparing for the possibly of another AWB ever since the last one sunset in 2005. In my opinion, buy what you feel you are going to need now while you still can and while they are still at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Right now I've got 3 magazines for my G19, 2 15 round and 1 17 round. I'll probably grab at least one more 17 round for competing in 3 gun. I only keep a couple mags for carry pistols.

I have A LOT more for my AR. I think I'm at 7 right now, I'd like to be at 10. Just seems appropriate...it's nice for range use since a lot of times I don't have to reload mags (I just shoot what I've already loaded), and since if you're using an AR in a SHTF situation, you're probably well past the point of only need a little ammo to survive. It takes a long time to reload those 30 rounders!

·
Registered
31 Posts
When you consider there is a very good chance of another AWB if Obama gets into the White House, which is looking likely at this point, buying as many high capacity magazines as you can afford prior to that is the prudent thing to do in my opinion.

During the last AWB I saw $18 Glock magazines go for $160 over night for those left in the pipeline. I have been preparing for the possibly of another AWB ever since the last one sunset in 2005. In my opinion, buy what you feel you are going to need now while you still can and while they are still at reasonable prices.
Newbie here.... what is an AWB?

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
You cannot have enough. They will become a commodity if the goon wins the election.

Just this week alone, I picked up 400 rounds of .308 in battle packs. 5 new USGI M1A magazines, and 5 Hungarian AK mags from AIM Surplus.

I bought 4 new high caps for my CZ-75, a few weeks ago.

This week I will buy 4 high cap Glock 20 mags.

Stack it tall and deep.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have four 12 round mags, and one 10 round for my XD40SC...I only have so many because I found one of the XD mag kits for $30 that came with 3 12 rounders and a mag pouch...I also have a 20 round mag for it, but it needs a much stronger spring to work properly...

my feeling is you need to figure out what situations you might be in...I think its a good idea to carry at least one extra mag with you...now if SHTF there will never be enough mags and you will be glad to have what you have...

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Just how many magazines is enough? I only have two and feel challenged by some reports. Just curious. Mike in Fremont. Ca.

If you had asked me how many mags was enough the day I bought my XD, I would have said that 2 was more than enough: one to shoot, one for backup.

Over time, I've seen some good deals from fellow members here, and I've bought additional magazines. Right now, I've got 16... I keep some loaded with range ammo, and some loaded with SD ammo. I can easily do a range trip without reloading at the range.

Don't worry about intentionally stocking up, just wait until you see a good deal or two. :)

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
p.s. it's not about what or how much you have, but what you can do with what you have. :-o

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Hmm... california might be a little different from the rest of the country, but in most places in the U.S. the correct answer is "Just a few more."

We've seen in the post-clinton days popular magazines like Berettas and Glocks shoot up to >$50-100 each and mags like for HKs go even higher.

Personally I have something around 7 or so magazines for my XD, 4-5 for my 1911, and more than a dozen for my AR15. I'd rather have a few more mags and spend less time loading them at the range.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rumor is the Dems will not make the same mistake and allow for a sunset clause. Therefore, if it happens, what you have will be what you will have FOREVER! Buy what you can afford now and VOTE! Obama has not won yet.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
As many as you can afford. Think about the gun and what its designated purpose is vs the cost of magazines. I picked up a bersa 380 a few months ago and it only came with 1 mag, I negotiated an extra magazine from the dealer and will buy one another in a few months so I will have a total of 3- 7 rd as its designated at a house gun to fight my way back to something larger and occasionally used for ccw. Bersa mags run $35-$40 a magazine they are rather expensive to me compared to what an XD magazine cost me 2 years ago especially when you compare the capacity.

I have 6 mags total for my XD(2- 15rd, 2- 16rd and 2-10 rd)and my 1911 also has 6 mags that hold 7rds.

Also think about ammo as a good friend of mine has stated for years that all they (anti's)need to do is to eliminate ammo or the components needed to make it and it will do the same thing. as it will get expensive to shoot if you cant replace the bullets or if the prices go sky high on ammo.

·
Registered
809 Posts
well i have about 20 30 round AR-15 mags
4 30 round magpul P-mags
1 20 round magpul P-mag
1 40 round mag for the AR-15
4 ak-47 30 round mags
3 Fnp-9 16 round mags

coming soon hope fully this week
spikes tactical .22lr bolt for my AR-15

need
6 more AK-47 mags (cheap easy to get)
5 more Fnp-9 mags (freaking expensive but need it )
10 27 round black dog mags(freaking expensive but need it)
2000 rounds of .223 for the AR (way to expensive but really really need it)
2000 rounds of 7.62x39 for the AK(very cheap will get whit no problem)
2000 rounds of 9mm(good deal at walmart so i go ther to get it)
5000 rounds of .22lr(extremely cheap and very happy about that )

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
It is like asking how much ammo is enough. I tend to think I have enough, but I always want more. :) I am up to 10 mags for my XDs (they can share 8 of 'em).

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
You had to ask didnt you;)

I have 50+ AR mags, am AR beta. 20 AK 30 rounders. 15 1911 mags (7, 8, and 10 rounders).

Im sure there is more im forgetting....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts