Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Older XDs in 9mm. New 8rd mags won't lock, even empty with open slide. Without the sleeve in place they lock fine. Before I shave the sleeve a bit to fit, does this sound like a different issue? Don't want to ruin 2 new mags if it's a common problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would confirm it’s interference of the sleeve before doing any mods. Make sure you are slamming the mag home first and make sure it clicks into place. Once you confirm that and it still doesn’t lock back, then you could trim the plastic sleeve a skosh so that it does. Shouldn’t be too big of an issue.

I had to do that on an aluminum base plate on a 1911 mag that was wouldn’t lock into place.

I wouldn’t alter the actual metal part of the mag though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I would not shave the magazines - I suspect you have a part in the gun itself that has worn or is slightly bent. I'm not a gunsmith, but probably the slide release/catch.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Most likely a mfg tolerance difference in the mag catch notch on the new vs old mags. Since they will lock in w/o sleeve most likely notch is a tiny bit small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had problem with my mags not locking in with xde. Not a question of one type of mag however. I think too much or wrong type of lube in mag catch area can be problem. I fooled around with mine and they now work fine so not sure what exactly was problem. First I blew out with non chlorinated brake cleaner and they worked ok. Concerned about rust so I sprayed with WD40 and again they did not lock in. So I blew out with compressed air in a can used for computer cleaning and now they work fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some of my new xds mags had the same problem. It was the plastic sleeve only. Not the mag, not the pistol. All I had to do was sand down the top of the sleeve about a half mm and put it back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts