Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that there is such a opposition to having a magazine safety?

If you remove the magazine from the gun and it becomes inoperable, I think that this is not a bad thing!

I think most of the people On the Firing Line forum are knowledgeable and responsible gun owners.

The vast majority of people that are buying guns for self-defense are generally clueless about how to use them and handle them safely.

If a newbie buys a gun and has very little knowledge of its workings. If the manufacturer adds a magazine safety you can save a life.

If a police officer got into a fist fight and thought he might lose his gun he could quickly push the magazine release button and the gun would be inoperable. Not even the last round in the chamber could be fired and hurt someone.

I could see disconnecting the magazine safety if it had a very adverse effect on the quality of the trigger pull.

Respectfully submitted for your perusal.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Respectfully, I find your attitude towards new gun owners exceedingly condescending.

I rather dislike the idea that if my magazine gets accidently dislodged (this has happened before), my firearm is now useless. Sure, without a mag safety it's a single shot--but at least I still have a firearm, and not a short, ineffective club.

Also, in the extreme case of having to reload...unless I'm going from slidelock, if I'm in the middle of reloading and suddenly need that firearm--again, I can fire a round, instead of having an impotent hunk of metal in my hands.

The only firearm that I own that would have come with a mag disconnect has had that useless function removed.

·
Banned
744 Posts
The vast majority of people that are buying guns for self-defense are generally clueless about how to use them and handle them safely.
So when and how did you collect your statistical data to make a comment that includes "the vast majority"? I would think that is several million people in the U.S. that own guns for defense purposes right?

What a great post from somebody who only has 9 posts. You have got to be trolling or you're a flaming liberal.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Oh--and to add another downfall of the mag disconnect safety--

I can think of at least one case offhand where a police officer who was accustomed to using a handgun with a mag safety (S&W 3rd gen, iirc) accidently killed another officer when using the second officer's weapon without a mag safety (92FS).

I would highly doubt this has been the only occurrence of such an event; not all may end up as tragically, but it is a drawback.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
The vast majority of people that are buying guns for self-defense are generally clueless about how to use them and handle them safely. If a newbie buys a gun and has very little knowledge of its workings. If the manufacturer adds a magazine safety you can save a life.
If a police officer got into a fist fight and thought he might lose his gun he could quickly push the magazine release button and the gun would be inoperable.
#1 I would say that the vast majority of people purchasing their first firearm would have enough common sense to read the FRACKING Owners manual. How many times is it mentioned in the XD manual about the "no magazine safety"? If your not reading the manual, your an idiot, and just unsafe to begin with.

#2 The XD/m is a combat pistol. And designed to work as such. If I'm a police officer, and get into a struggle with a perp., and my mag release button gets pressed, and mag dis-lodges, I want to be able to have at least 1 shot in the tube that could save my life.

There are a host of pistols that you can opt for that have a mag. safety, but just are not gonna get it on a XD. Go get ya a Smith M&P and they will give ya the option to have or not have.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can see the purpose of the Mag Disconnect Safety but I do not own a gun with one and don't intend to in a fighting handgun.

I find the Mag Safety a solution looking for a problem.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I can see the purpose of the Mag Disconnect Safety but I do not own a gun with one and don't intend to in a fighting handgun.

I find the Mag Safety a solution looking for a problem.
Much like the the .357sig. I like the ruger sr series but I'd take the mag safety off

·
Registered
769 Posts
I personally find a magazine safety to be unnecessary, and a potential cultivator of poor trigger discipline and safety practices. If you handle your firearms responsibly and train with them, you don't need a mechanism that renders the firearm inoperable.

I follow the three rules of safe gun handling. When I am carrying, there is no possibility of accidental or negligent discharges as long as I am following one of the three. The time when I follow none are when I am acting in self defense and may have to inflict bodily harm.

Rendering the firearm useless to an assailant is counterproductive in that it also makes it useless for the owner as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If someone wants it, that's fine.

Not for me though.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Oh--and to add another downfall of the mag disconnect safety--

I can think of at least one case offhand where a police officer who was accustomed to using a handgun with a mag safety (S&W 3rd gen, iirc) accidently killed another officer when using the second officer's weapon without a mag safety (92FS).

I would highly doubt this has been the only occurrence of such an event; not all may end up as tragically, but it is a drawback.
+1 on this reason. I teaches bad firearms handling. Dropping the mag with a round in the chamber does not make a safe gun and instilling muscle memory to the effect that if you drop the gun it's ok to pull the trigger on a loaded gun is very bad.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I can see where it would become a crutch to people with sloppy firearms handling practices.

personally I don't want something that wont go bang when I need it to the most.

I pray I am never in the situation where I need it to.

ya know... I think a lot of issues people have are they don't take the time to get to know the weapon, or they feel they do know it maybe a bit too well.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I don't like the Mag saftey, and the only gun I had with one, I disconnected it.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
As well as the mentioned reasons for not having a mag safety there are competition issues associated with the mag safety. You have to show a clear chamber, release the slide, pull the trigger, and holster. Sure is a lot of trouble to carry an empty mag for that purpose; easier to disconnect the feature.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Respectfully, I find your attitude towards new gun owners exceedingly condescending.

I rather dislike the idea that if my magazine gets accidently dislodged (this has happened before), my firearm is now useless. Sure, without a mag safety it's a single shot--but at least I still have a firearm, and not a short, ineffective club.

Also, in the extreme case of having to reload...unless I'm going from slidelock, if I'm in the middle of reloading and suddenly need that firearm--again, I can fire a round, instead of having an impotent hunk of metal in my hands.

The only firearm that I own that would have come with a mag disconnect has had that useless function removed.
A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
25 Posts
While I really like my GSG 1911-22, the mag safety is an unnecessary annoyance (which will go away once my annoyance level peaks and I remove the thingy from the mainspring housing). To me, it does nothing to make the gun any safer than it already is or isn't.

Someone bound and determined to shoot themselves (accidentally, of course) will find a way no matter what safety features there may be (you have heard of the 'Darwin Awards'?).

Let's not forget the old saw about making something idiot-proof to the point where only idiots will be able to use it....

Too, I doubt anyone's first thought (Police Officer, or not) in a knock-down-drag-out fight would be "Gosh! I better drop that magazine from my gun just in case!"

As a last thought, a mag safety lock can be more unsafe, consider the steps to clearing you weapon:
1. remove magazine
2. pull back slide
3. visual and physical check to make sure chamber is clear
4. close slide
5. while pointing in safe direction, pull trigger/drop hammer

What happens if between steps 3 and 4 you add... grab magazine and insert (ops! grabbed a loaded magazine... )

I know, between steps 4 and 5 would be the place to re-insert the magazine, but 'brand-spanky' new gun owners were mentioned or at least implied... And just how many newbie gun owners would have "in a safe direction" down pat?

If you like 'em, fine. Me? Not so much.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Not having one sure makes dryfiring drills easier than doing it with an unloaded mag. Much easier to just drop your mag cycle out the loaded round and have at it than unloading a mag just to practice with.

Do I smell troll?

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
The reason I will not buy any Swiss/Wesson auto pistol is because of the mag safety. Like others mentioned, if I get caught in a bad situation while changing mags I will 1 in the tube to fire.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Relying on any mechanical safety is extremely risky, in my opinion. Guns are machines and machines can malfunction, parts can break without warning, etc, etc.

I find the arguments against a magazine safety more persuasive than the arguments for. I can definitely see being caught out during a reload, but somehow being able to release the magazine as someone is wrestling the gun away from me I see as far fetched.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The reason I will not buy any Swiss/Wesson auto pistol is because of the mag safety. Like others mentioned, if I get caught in a bad situation while changing mags I will 1 in the tube to fire.
You do know they have M&P's that have no safety, no lock, nor mag safety, right? My M&P's are go bang model. No freaking lock, thumb or mag disconnect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts