Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a .40 Subcompact. I noticed when I handled it at the store when I pressed the mag release the empty magazine did not drop out of the gun as I would presume it should. I had to pull it out. Is this common in a new gun? Does it just need to be broken in?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately .40 XD SC's are hard to find. I am having to drive an hour and a half just to get this one. Also Im getting the 3 mags and holster deal for $439 which is less than I've found it anywhere else. so a different XD isn't really an option. I'd more likely buy this gun and send it to SA to have it fixed if there is a problem.

You say yours falls freely. But did it fall freely when you first bought it, or did it require a little break in time?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought a couple 12 rnd mags for may XD40 Tact and had the same problems with the new mags. It ended up that the front lip of the mag was sticking out to far and rubbing where it shouldn't.

I applied a little manual encouragement to the front lip and now they fall freely.

May not be the same thing but something to check. The mags were rubbing/sticking just below the feed ramp.

·
Registered
533 Posts
mine fell freely when I got it, it's still pretty new, only a month old.
does this guy have any other sub xd's in stock, maybe he has one in stock that will work better for you.
I understand how hard it is to find a 40 sub, I got the first one I saw.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
gunnewb said:
I am about to purchase a .40 Subcompact. I noticed when I handled it at the store when I pressed the mag release the empty magazine did not drop out of the gun as I would presume it should. I had to pull it out. Is this common in a new gun? Does it just need to be broken in?
Try another mag. The one you used may have been "swollen". They should drop.

Old School

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine has always dropped freely. Sound more like the mag than the gun to me. I have this problem with a POS glock. The pistol is ok, I just bought one of the bad mags. I like to haggle - I'd politely/tactfully ask for a discount.

J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine didn't so easily at first, but it did just fine when it was loaded with bullets. After a few releases with a full mag it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
A loaded mag should fall out just fine. Be sure not to drop it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the point of it dropping out freely is for fast reloads. Which only applies to an empty magazine. Whether or not a loaded magazine with the extra weight of the 10 to 12 rounds will drop freely is irrelevant.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
gunnewb said:
Well the point of it dropping out freely is for fast reloads. Which only applies to an empty magazine. Whether or not a loaded magazine with the extra weight of the 10 to 12 rounds will drop freely is irrelevant.
Unless you shoot IDPA where most of your reloads include "dropping" mags with available rounds. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never thought of that. Though I'm buying the gun as a CCW. I kind of doubt I will ever compete.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I with the rest of the guys, mine fall out quickly.
from working on several xd, i feel sure that your problem is minor, and will be easy to fix.
go for the great sale price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ordered a 10 rd. mag for my XD pistol from pistol-gear.com and it was slightly thicker than the ones I got with my pistol, I don't know why, it says springfield and everything is the same except it's a little thicker for some reason so it won't slide out of the mag well as the others do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts