Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should you leave a few rounds out of the magazine, or load it to full capacity?

Will it shorten the life of the spring?

I would like to hear your opinions, or real world experiances.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I keep mine loaded. They get unloaded at the range. An unloaded magazine is not going to help me if a bad guy shows up.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When I first got my XD, I like you, had been under the impression that the mag should be loaded a few rounds short of capacity (Ok.. if any of you are thinking that that is a euphamism for Captain Ray.. keep it to yourself!)

It turns out that it doesn't work that way... also, if you fill your mag to capacity and the springs aren't worked in, the mag release doesn't eject the full mag correctly...

Load em' up! No harm will come from it.

Raymond

·
Registered
43 Posts
Like the Captain said, load'em up and don't worry about it. Keeping a spring compressed or uncompressed doesn't cause the srping to wear, it's the action of repeated compressing and uncompressing that causes them to fatigue. They should just simply break-in allowing you to load those last few rounds a bit easier and under normal use they should function perfectly for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
I keep mine loaded. They get unloaded at the range. An unloaded magazine is not going to help me if a bad guy shows up.
Very true!
With a new mag it will break in the spring easier if you keep it loaded!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Springs wear out from repeated cycles not from being compressed. I keep my carry mags fully loaded. You'll do more harm to your magizine springs by shooting than by carrying. Replacement springs are cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts