Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. Just received my Springfield XD9mm 4" barrel California compliant with two 10 round magazines.
Also, just ordered the Elite Tactical Systems ETS CAM Speed Loader for 9mm (ETSCAM-9-40)

Question #1) Going to order more magazines, so price is a factor as Springfield XD9 metal mags are pricy.
Do non-Springfield brand magazines work well? Which brands to avoid or brands with best reviews?

Question #2) Any thoughts on the ETS Speed Loader I ordered? Good reviews? Any complaints?

Thank you for responses. Toppscore :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hello from Martinez CA!

You’ll love the XD9, but I have no experience with that speed loader. Only ones I see are the Maglula aka Uplula.

Let us know how it works!

Hoping GFOS opens up soon for you. Livermore range was my home range when I lived down there. Love that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’m not happy with mine. Rounds always jam going in. Then you have to take it all apart. Major pain in the ass. There are videos on their website that tell you to lube it and hold it a certain way. I still have issues with mine. Currently going back-and-forth with emails to try getting another one. If the new one doesn’t work it’s going in the trash. I’ve had about the same level of success with their clear mags. Cool idea, poor execution.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what it’s worth, I’m not happy with mine. Rounds always jam going in. Then you have to take it all apart. Major pain in the ass. There are videos on their website that tell you to lube it and hold it a certain way. I still have issues with mine. Currently going back-and-forth with emails to try getting another one. If the new one doesn’t work it’s going in the trash. I’ve had about the same level of success with their clear mags. Cool idea, poor execution.
Thank you. I just put in a question on the Elite Tactical Systems ETS CAM Speed Loader for 9mm Amazon website
for their commitment to verify working with an XD9mm. Much appreciate your response.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Reactions: Toppscore

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully you have better results
The ETS Elite Loader people said their ten bullet loader absolutely works. But, still skeptical.
Will return it if problems. Then get the $12.99 loader if need be.
Loaded one clip this evening by hand and it is not a future task I want without speed loader help :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, In my short time here I've learned that the factory magazines work best in these pistols. The aftermarket units don't eject cleanly for one thing. Since neither Amazon or my local shop had the Uplula in stock I just ordered a cheap speed loader that works surprisingly well: Thank you for your indulgence, BassCliff
Great! This was my second choice and good to know it works.
If the ETS Elite Loader is bad, I'll get this one. Cheers :)

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Stick with factory magazines.

For the XD/XDm, aftermarket magazines have been disappointing, by many more reports than not.

Sadly, unlike with Glocks, we don't have the option of going with Magpul pistol mags for training/practice use. That said, if you're willing to chance it (at the risk of that money largely going to waste if it doesn't work out), aftermarket magazines may be a viable choice for training/practice use.

For anything serious, for XD/XDm pistols, I'd strongly recommend sticking with SA's factory magazines.

And while they are definitely not cheap, it's really not too, too bad. Help yourself feel better by checking out HK magazine prices, for one. ;) Then, for kicks, check out how much STI magazines cost. :p

The biggest problem, in-actuality, with double-stack XD/XDm magazines is that their bodies and feed-lips are rather weak. Although unlikely to be damaged by ejection upon-empty, a full or even partially full magazine hitting concrete - or even an unfortunate rock in a dirt field - can potentially damage the magazine enough so that it shouldn't be placed into duty/defensive service any longer (this isn't to say that these magazines don't last a while - actually, they do, and a search of my old posts here will show you just how durable they can be).

As with any other box-magazine fed firearm, I urge all owners to uniquely and permanently mark each magazine so that they can be tracked for use/service as well as damage and remediation. Also, keep in mind that at the end of the day, magazines are consumables, so purchase them as-such (for those living in unfriendly lands, "rebuild kits" can reinvigorate a hard-use magazine in all but its physical body). If your plans for the weapon are true hard/serious use, obtain sufficient magazines so that you will always have segregated use versus practice sets. Larry Vickers, for one, recommends no less than five (5) magazines for every "serious use" firearm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would send back that loader and get the Uplula magazine loader. It is universal and works for 9mm, 10mm, .40 cal., and .45 cal. It is well worth its cost.

I have a S&W 9mm Shield, XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm, Keltec Sub2000 9mm (G17 mag), and XDm 4.5" OSP in 10mm. Works for all of them.

I am a volunteer Range Safety Officer at our local public shooting range. I bring my Uplula with me and introduce each pistol shooter to it. If they don't have one already, most say they are stopping by Sportsman's Warehouse on the way home and getting one. I should get a commission from Upula for that!

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
@BassCliff and @TSiWRX are right... the factory mags are the best option. They're not that expensive (price HK mags for reference) and come up for sale on the used market regularly: l have about 30 XDM mags and the only ones l ever got new came with the gun(s). If the XD lines were more popular, a quality company like MecGar would probably tool-up and start making magazines... doesn't look like that's gonna happen, ever. ProMag makes some, but like everything else PM puts out, they blow.

Another MagLula user here, can't help w the ETS.

Reactions: Toppscore

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what it’s worth, I’m not happy with mine. Rounds always jam going in. Then you have to take it all apart. Major pain in the ass. Cool idea, poor execution.
Gigantore. Please help me understand. I just received my XD9 and now the ETS Speedloader.
The bullets stop about one inch short of the entry housing. The bullets appear to be stuck at that spot. I only use Springfield factory magazines.
Called ETS and customer service states this is by design so the bullets will not fall into the housing cavity without support.
So, the solution is to push hard and "wear in" that location, but ultimately the bullets need to have a stopping point before being plunged into the magazine.

My question to you is, what gets jammed and where ~ per your initial comment ~ so you have to take "what" apart?
Is the jam within the ETS loader before entry into the magazine?
Is the jam within the magazine?
Is the jam within the XD9 gun itself within the magazine housing or at the gun's bullet loading point?

PLMK ASAP. Thank you. Toppscore

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Elite Tactical Systems ETS CAM Speed Loader for 9mm (ETSCAM-9-40)
Just loaded my new Springfield XD9's two factory ten double stacked bullet magazines.
After talking with ETS customer service and adding a dash of mineral oil
at a particular spot on the bullet slide-in area, the bullets slide in great.

Loaded two double stackers and do have three more magazines to arrive next week.
Very happy. Hate loading magazines with thumbs and/or one at a time.

Thanks for the above ideas, advice and experience. Cheers! Toppscore :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Gigantore. Please help me understand. I just received my XD9 and now the ETS Speedloader.
The bullets stop about one inch short of the entry housing. The bullets appear to be stuck at that spot. I only use Springfield factory magazines.
Called ETS and customer service states this is by design so the bullets will not fall into the housing cavity without support.
So, the solution is to push hard and "wear in" that location, but ultimately the bullets need to have a stopping point before being plunged into the magazine.

My question to you is, what gets jammed and where ~ per your initial comment ~ so you have to take "what" apart?
Is the jam within the ETS loader before entry into the magazine?
Is the jam within the magazine?
Is the jam within the XD9 gun itself within the magazine housing or at the gun's bullet loading point?

PLMK ASAP. Thank you. Toppscore
The first round is what jams. The little lip there is what gets in the way. Funny that ETS is giving 2 different stories for why we are having issues. Sounds to me like they really don’t know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first round is what jams. The little lip there is what gets in the way. Funny that ETS is giving 2 different stories for why we are having issues. Sounds to me like they really don’t know.
The two 10 round factory mags were filled perfectly after understanding
Elite Tactical Systems ETS CAM Speed Loader for 9mm (ETSCAM-9-40)
description regarding the stopping point, then adding a drop of mineral oil at that spot.
I just ordered three more Springfield XD9 10 round factory mags to arrive in four days.
Will report on the loading of these as well. Personally, I pray for success of this product
because of the effort on my thumbs and fingers is not good.

Also, I ordered a single round Springfield XD9mm loader:
MakerShot Custom Magazine Speedloader

recommended by BassCliff within the #6 above post with photo and description.
This just arrived today. I will report on both loaders next week. Cheers! Toppscore :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would send back that loader and get the Uplula magazine loader. It is universal and works for 9mm, 10mm, .40 cal., and .45 cal. It is well worth its cost. I have a S&W 9mm Shield, XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm, Keltec Sub2000 9mm (G17 mag), and XDm 4.5" OSP in 10mm. Works for all of them. I am a volunteer Range Safety Officer at our local public shooting range. I bring my Uplula with me and introduce each pistol shooter to it. If they don't have one already, most say they are stopping by Sportsman's Warehouse on the way home and getting one. I should get a commission from Upula for that!
Hi. So far, so good with the ETS. Cheers.
Will be getting a 45 semi gun and'll begin checking out Upula vs ETS.
My ETS was $22 on Amazon.
What is the best Uplula pricing today, October 2020?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts