Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new XD 45 compact tactical and with empty magazines 10rd and 13rd it fits fine. When I got home and loaded the mags, the larger capacity mag doesnt sit flush and the magazine release sticks. I have to use more force than necessary to get the mag to release. Is this usual for a new XD. I have an XDm 9 used that is flawless except that I found a crack in the frame and sent it back to SA today. Any suggestions on the 45 mag and mag release problem? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
New is the key word here.

It may take a little time to break things in.
Leave your mags loaded for a few days.
Work the mag release and get it broken in..

Be patience young raco, and welcome to the forum..;)

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I also had both the XDs you own.
If I remember correctly (I sold them both), I had the same issue.
The XD9sc never seemed to have any issues, but the XD45 Compact was a bit stiffer.
I never cared for the 16 rd mags in the XD9sc and always used the 10 or 13 rd short mags.
I also recall the XD45 mags sticking out a bit when fully loaded.

These pics the mags were empty.

Hopefully it will loosen up in time..;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mine did/does the same. The loaded mag is heavy with the 45 so gravity pulls it down. Not really an issue unless it causes malfunction. The stiffness of the release lessened over time either from break in or strengthening of my finger. Anyway neither has ever caused real problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the help. Great forum and intelligent answers. Just the help I was looking for. I've been open carrying the xd9 4.5 and plan to do the same with the 45, what can I say I like big guns! If anyone else has any input, Im all ears.

Update-Put 150 rounds through it, what a great gun, very happy that I bought it. Problems with the mags and mag release are better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The mag release on my XDm 45 was impossible when it was new but, after a few hundred rounds it is now fine. (tight, but perfectly OK)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 250 rounds the gun is much better, not so finicky. just need to put more meat on my bones. OCing this bad boy takes a toll on my hip,but i feel safer with it on!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Same here I would fondle mine every night after I got home from work. My 45 would do the same thing. I would have to push the slide release so hard my finger was white and red, then I would have to pretty much snatch the Magazine out. It works fine now.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Loved breaking this in with 1000's of rounds. Think of it as a mod.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Picked up a new XD 45 compact tactical and with empty magazines 10rd and 13rd it fits fine. When I got home and loaded the mags, the larger capacity mag doesnt sit flush and the magazine release sticks. I have to use more force than necessary to get the mag to release. Is this usual for a new XD. I have an XDm 9 used that is flawless except that I found a crack in the frame and sent it back to SA today. Any suggestions on the 45 mag and mag release problem? Thanks

I think your xd has chronic, dysfunctional problems. Please send it to me for some intense therapy, I will send it back when it is okay.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The release works fine ... if you try to release a full round mag w/13 rounds, you will have too much resistance just heel the mag and it should release easily.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not to worry. The mags are very stiff when new as is the mag release. They will smooth out with use. My XD 9 subcompact was exactly the same when new.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Suggestion,
Grab the gun, make sure it's not loaded, and jam a magazine in, then hit the release, and jam it back in (while you watch a show on TV) ... Do that a few hundred times, and it will be silky smooth, and easy to operate.

Make sure to push the release, by alternating from the both left and right side.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Just like everyone has said, this is normal for the new XD...Have fun breaking her in...:)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I picked up my XDm .45 this evening (WOOHOO!)! The first time I loaded a full mag into the gun and tried to use the mag release, I actually had to use both hands the get the mag release to move at all. I had to push so hard that I honestly thought I was actually going to break the gun. I'm not a small guy at all and I was straining to get the magazine to release. After spending the vast majority of the evening actuating the mag release, it is still tighter than any gun I've ever handled, but it's much better. At least now I am not quite so terrified of having to drop a full mag in a fire fight to clear a jam and getting shot while cussing my mag release. Next, I just have to break in the recoil spring :p.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts