Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two XD-40s one Service and one Tactical. At present I have a total of 10 magazines for them. Three hi-cap magazine with only three count holes (4, 8, 12) in the back; these came with my XD-40 Service. I also have five of the hi-cap magazines with nine count holes (4-12) in the back (two came with my Tactical the other three I bought separately). And I just picked up two of the ten round magazines from Cheaper than Dirt.

My Service has never done it but on just few occasions my Tactical would lock open on the last round but the magazine would not fall free. After playing around with it I notice that the two hi caps magazine that came with the tactical will lock the action open but then the follow sometime will slip off the end of the post on the inside of slide lock and move up next to that post rather then under it. This condition causes the magazine to hang in the magazine well. Well after looking at all my magazine I notice that many of them barely engage the slide lock post, this seems a slightly bigger problem with my Tactical then my Service but both look precariously engage, most less then a 1/32 of an inch. The two magazines that came with the Tactical got a little bit of tape put on the follower on the opposite side from the shelf to catch the slide lock This pushes the follower toward the slide lock for a slightly better engagement and the problem has not reoccurred. My fear is as the magazines wear it may reoccur.

I also notice that one of my 9 count hole hi caps that I bough separately has a very slightly modified follower in it. The follower has a slight bulge at the shell on the follower where it engages the post on the slide lock. It bulges out maybe 0.015 inches more than the other follower. Now the two ten round magazine are a much different follow design and they engage the post on the slide lock very positively.

I tried to take pictures of the differences but they did not turn out last night, it was late and I was tire. I will try again this evening with more light for my camera and will add them to the thread. Has anyone else notice this problem with their magazines just barely catching the end of the post on the slide lock. Has anyone else come up with a solution? I am tempted to call SA and see if they will just send me the new follower design to go in my existing magazine. I doubt they would do that give the shortage of magazines. I might try to build that shelf out just a touch with some good epoxy. What do you guys think?

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe pictures will entice you guys to reply. :)

First is a picture of the slide lock bound up on the side of the magazine follower. This has only happen once or twice in actual operation but I would rather it not happen at all. It would really suck in an IPSC competition or more importantly in a real fight (I can’t image any fight I would get in that would require a reload but…). In this case the slide probably would have locked open but the magazine would not drop free because of the follower is binding up on the slide lock post.

The next image is that same magazine but it has just barely engaged the slide lock post. It’s a little bit fuzzy but I think it gets the idea across. Many of my magazines engage like this or just a slight bit more.

And this last image of a magazine in the frame is the nicely engage follower of the 10rd magazine. I would like all of my magazine followers engage that post this positively.

Next I have included pictures of the three magazine followers I have seen. First the follower of the 10rd magazine

Next is what I believe is the original design of the hi-cap follower. Notice that there is some wear where the slide lock post has just barely been caught by the corner of the shelf.

And finally I have two pictures of what I believe is SA attempt to fix the problem with a slightly modified hi-cap follower. Notice the slight bulge in the side of the shelf that engages the slide lock post.

I would love to get a hold of these new followers (assuming they are a new design) for the rest of my hi-cap magazines. I looked through the eight I have and only one has the bulge shown in the pictures.

So… What do you guys think? Am I chasing a ghost or have any of you guys notice similar precarious slide lock post – magazine follower engagement?

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got back three of my magazines from M&R Arms, one of them engaged the slide lock but the other two did not, after comparing the two magazines that came back from M&R with one that I just bought I found that the follower did not go up to the top of the magazine as it did in the new one so I took them apart and found that the two from M&R had the springs rotated 90 degrees. After rotating the springs back both magazines fully engaged the slide lock.
Hope this can help you

Shamus

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I am not sure if I can help you with your mag problem.. but dude.. what is with all the grease on your locking block?! I have never heard anyone say to put any grease on the locking block, much less have it kaked on like that. Is it possible that you are using the wrong kind of lubricant, and it is interfering with your magazines?

Raymond

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The magazine well is clean and dry. The grease on the locking block is actually a fairly light weight red lithium gun grease. I use in on the hing pins in all my shotguns. I probably do over grease/lubricate parts but it seems the locking block would not want to be left dry either. The manual does not do a good job at telling you where and what kind of lubrincant should be used. I always grease a gun were it slides and oil pin joints. Feel free to educate me, my two XD's are not my first firearms but are my first semi-auto centerfire handguns.

As for the magazine problem it more of an alignment problem with the shelf on the magazine follower trying to coming around the inside of the slide lock post rather than under it. As I said it does work nearly all the time but as shown in the second photo many of my magazines just barely get under that slide lock post. With the addition of the tape on the far side of the follow the problem goes away. I suspect that if other XD owners looked at their guns closely they might see similar minimal engagement of the follower with the slide lock post with some magazines. Just a guess on my part.

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
well, like I said, from what I have read so far, I can't tell you what the problem with the mags are. The grease you are using on your pistol is definitely the wrong kind.

Here is a picture of my locking block:

Never mind the little arrow.. that was to point out a little chip on the block that I was concerned about.. I would have to send my entire pistol back to Springfield to have them fix that.. yeah right, out of my dead, cold hands Mfrs!!!

Anyway.. you are not using the right kind of lubricant. You do not want to use any kind of heavy grease like that anywhere on your pistol. Most of the guys around here run their pistols pretty dry. Other than a drop on each side of the rails (around the locking block,) and a little on the sear, and the various springs, you don't need much oil. If you don't mind waiting a day or three, I would suggest going to Blue Wonder and picking up a few tubes of Disotec XFR. That stuff is great.. and I think, if they are still running the promo, that they will give you a 4 oz. tube of the Blue Wonder Gel solvent for cleaning.

From looking at that picture, I am afraid your magazines may be suffering from improper cleaning.. I have only heard from two people who have had legitimate problems with their factory magazines, and in both cases it was because they were dropped, and bent. I think in your case, you are just being a bit over-zealous in the way you are cleaning, and using the wrong products.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Here is a pic I just took of my field stripped XD.

Note, no goopy grease on the locking block. I am nearing the 5,000 round mark with this pistol, no failures of any kind, it goes bang every time.

If you have any questions about cleaning.. please ask.. the old farts will groan, and help you.. they like groaning, and they like helping..

I really think, based on what you have posted so far, that the problem with feeding, and the magazines has something to do with what you are using to lubricate your weapon. I could be wrong, (although I never have been before.. ask BD! LOL) but it is a place to start.

Raymond

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I have not had any feed or ejections problems just the very rare magazine not dropping free due to binding on the slide lock post. I have been using Blue Wonder get to clean my XD (per recommendations here). I use the Blue Wonder Gel on the barrel and slide and Hoppies Elite on the polymer frame when it needs it.

So if I understand you correctly the locking block and mating surface on the barrel should be near dry (maybe a very light coat of oil instead of grease?) and a drop of oil on the slide rails, sear, and a couple drops of oil on the recoil spring, guild rod and striker springs. How does that sound? Do you guys lubricate the points were the barrel touches/rubs the slide. You ought to see the grease I put there. :shock: I probably over lubricate to also help ensure that I don't get rust, I have probably read to many threads about rust problems. I don't have any yet and don't want any!

I really do appreciate the help but I don't think my over lubrication (something I will rectify immediately) has anything to do with the potential problem of the magazine follower binding up on the slide lock post by move up next to the end of the post rather than under the post. Despite the liberal use of lubricant my magazine are and stay relatively dry.

My magazine get wiped off with a clean rag that has just a couple drops of light oil rubbed into it. I take them apart and pull this rag through the magazine and make sure the spring has a very light coat of oil, just to inhibit rust. The follower is dry.

Captain Ray and anyone else that wants would you guys mind taking that same picture in Captain Ray’s last posted again with a magazine installed. I would love to compare my frame with magazine to a few other frames with magazine installed but the slide off.

Thanks for helping my ghost hunt
mcb

·
Registered
366 Posts
If anyone bother to look at the pictures it seems obvious that the grease has NOTHING to do with the problem mcb is having. I like you idea about building the shelf out a little with some epoxy provided you can leave plenty of clearance to prevent the follower from binding in the magazine body. Do the magazines that you are having this problem with have any give side-to-side when inserted into the magwell?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a little bit of play side to side of the magazine in the mag well but I was unsure how much is acceptable. I do know that there is about 0.010-0.015 more room to wiggle in my Tactical then my Service but I am not sure how one would go about reducing this without causing problems. I did play with the idea of a one or two layers of clear packing tape on the inside of the mag well oposite the slide lock but I would worry about long term reliability.

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
366 Posts
mcb said:
I did play with the idea of a one or two layers of clear packing tape on the inside of the mag well oposite the slide lock but I would worry about long term reliability.
You read my mind :oops:
Maybe if you used the tape shim on the magazine body it would allow for easy inspection and replacement. It would look a little junky so maybe you could just try it as a diagnostic to confirm whether the magwell on the tactical is a bit out of spec compared to the service. I suppose the best bet would be to use a micrometer. If you can show that the magwell is too wide to ensure consistent operation of lock back lever than I think you've got a warranty issue.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep I probably should give SA a call and see what they think of the issue. The thing is that the two ten round magazine work perfectly and most of my hi-caps work also but they do appear to barely catch hold of the slide lock post. The two magazines that came with the Tactical are the only two that have ever caused the problem. I think I might be a victim of tolerances. My mag well on the tactical might be on the upper range and a few of my magazines are on the lower range. Put the extremes together and bam! At present I am fairly happy with my work around of just putting a bit of tap on the followers of the problem magazines but I think I will give SA a call.

Hmmmm...
mcb

·
Registered
463 Posts
shamus said:
I took them apart and found that the two from M&R had the springs rotated 90 degrees. After rotating the springs back both magazines fully engaged the slide lock.Shamus
I don't understand how the spring could be rotated 90 degrees since they are rectangular in shape, do you mean 180 degrees?

It seems obvious to me that mcb's problems are infact the followers and tolerances which are allowing too much wiggle room in the follower/magazine and/or the magazine/mag well. Seems to me that SA should under warrenty be willing to send you new followers like the ones that are in your 10 round mags.

Have you measured the body of the magazines to see if your Hicaps are narrower than the 10 round mags causing more wiggle room? maybe the whole body of the magazine needs replacement. Or possibly they are wider at the top allowing more wiggle room with the follower within the mag body?

·
Registered
149 Posts
here are the things i would try.

the problem might not the oil on the locking block I would make sure that you slide lock is clear and easy to operate with the slide off. If it does not move freely, then i can see that being a problem.

I would also take apart you mags and put them back together looking at the pictures in you manual. Make sure you put it all to together just like the picture (notice which way the spring is poingting).

Also make sure the mags are clean and moveing freely. So that they get maximun force hitting the slide lock.

You might also try strong springs for you mags, and see what happens.

I would be careful adding epoxy, because if you add to much it will be hard to fix.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Here are those pictures you requested.

This one, with 15 roung magazine inserted, no bullets:

The second with the same magazine, filled to the brim with Remingto UMC:

I think the other guys are probably closer to helping you solve your problem. After thinking about it, that heavy grease really shouldn't cause a problem with the magazine.. I was thinking somehow maybe some of the grease got down into the magazine..

Anyway, I hope the pictures are helpful.

Raymond

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot for the pictures Captain Ray. Thanks to everyone else for all the input on my potential problem and my over-lubrication.

As for my potential problem I put three layers of clear packing tape on the inside right side of my Magazine well being sure not to get near the link from the trigger to the sear and this seems to pretty much fix the problem. I am still thinking about giving a SA a call and see what they say about it but I not to worried yet. I put 170 rounds through it yesterday without one malfunction and that was outside in the cool and rainy weather.

I did reduce the amount of lube and change to oil on many parts other that the actual rails where they slide in the slide. I still put just a small dab of Shooter's Choice all weather synthetic grease on the rails, inside the slide were the barrel touches the slide, and on the sear. I put a small amount of Hoppie’s gun oil on the locking block, guild rod and any springs I see. I probably still put a bit too much but lube on the gun but I figure a little to much is better than not enough.

Thanks
mcb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts