Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new to me Sig P229 w/ nightsights, DAO from my dealer (Merry Christmas to me) for $480 w/ a box of TAP hollow points.

It's in cherry condition, but the one thing I've never experienced with my Sigs (or any of my handguns) is the magazine disconnect, which this pistol has?

I may convert over from DAO to DA/SA...although I'm not sure why...the DA trigger pull is a joy on all my Sigs, but I'm contemplating removing the magazine disconnect too.

Does anyone have any experience with mag disconnects?

Good, bad or otherwise?

Any failures from them?

Not interested in stories from your brother's mom's best friend's baker's husband's baker's boyfriend who happens to be delta force. I want to know if anyone has had a mag-disconnect related failure or witnessed one directly?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I've never had a failure or anything....but my opinion on them (not sure if that's what your looking for but...:D) is a no go. What happens if you drop the mag during a struggle (assuming its a defense gun)?

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had a failure or anything....but my opinion on them (not sure if that's what your looking for but...:D) is a no go. What happens if you drop the mag during a struggle (assuming its a defense gun)?
That's what the magazine disconnects were originally designed for.

If you're in a struggle for the gun and think you may lose it you can intentionally drop the mag to render the gun inoperable, release control over the gun and transition to a backup weapon of some sort.

I don't foresee this being a common, or even an uncommon occurrence so to me it's just another useless feature, but if it's not going to cause any major malfunctions with the firearm it's probably more trouble than it's worth to try to remove the feature.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I never thought of it in that function....

True, I think you'll have a hard time finding situations where a mag disconnect failed.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Never heard of a SIG with a mag disconnect. All of my earlier SIGs don't have this feature. My Hi-Power had one and I removed it and have never wished it back.

To me, this is a huge reason I stay away from certain pistols...I don't want one. Why? Well, I have noticed some times, when carrying concealed....if I move around alot, I have accidentally hit the mag release button on certain pistols. If you were carrying and accidentally hit the button during the day and did not know...if you had to draw and shoot in a hurry....you're down if the pistol has a mag release.

I want at least one shot...if things go sideways. If you're carrying in a holster that rides high with a tilt...if you lean sideways or twist...you CAN accidentally hit the mag release button. The mag is left in the gun...but sticking out maybe 1/8-1/4" and if your gun has a mag safety...its inoperable. Not good....

Some people like a mag safety...many do not. I see it as an answer to a nonexistant problem.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
My S&W59 and Bersa .380 have mag disconnects, other than being a pain in the a%# when trying to pull the trigger with the mag out, I've never had any problems.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Never heard of a SIG with a mag disconnect. All of my earlier SIGs don't have this feature. My Hi-Power had one and I removed it and have never wished it back.

To me, this is a huge reason I stay away from certain pistols...I don't want one. Why? Well, I have noticed some times, when carrying concealed....if I move around alot, I have accidentally hit the mag release button on certain pistols. If you were carrying and accidentally hit the button during the day and did not know...if you had to draw and shoot in a hurry....you're down if the pistol has a mag release.

I want at least one shot...if things go sideways. If you're carrying in a holster that rides high with a tilt...if you lean sideways or twist...you CAN accidentally hit the mag release button. The mag is left in the gun...but sticking out maybe 1/8-1/4" and if your gun has a mag safety...its inoperable. Not good....

Some people like a mag safety...many do not. I see it as an answer to a nonexistant problem.

- Brickboy240
This is the same reason I avoid them as well.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

- Brickboy240
Hmmmmm

I have never had that happen, but I suppose it is a possibility.

Unfortunately the spacer plate needed to remove the Mag disconnect is not commercially available to the best of my knowledge.....it may be time to break out the dremel tool.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I have an M & P 9c and didnt have any trouble with the disconnect ....................it came right out without so much as a peep!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My duty Beretta 92D is equipped with a mag safety I have had no issues out of it in 5 years and 10,000 rounds. Our new duty guns are the 229 DAK with the mag safety and it seems like somehow you may have come across one of them. I have not attended the SIG armorer school for them yet but if it aint broke why fix it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts