Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to shot my service 40 on monday. Put 300 thru it.
Functioned flawlessly and accurate as hell. I decided to put
it as my bedside gun. So at the range I everytime locked the
slide, inserted a mag then released the slide and only took the
mag out when empty. But once home I load it and insert mag
with the slide forward. First I notice I can't release the mag with
10 in it(clinton mag) then I rack the slide and it gets hung up
on the casing. Mag release button won't even budge.

Once I get the top rd out and mag falls as normal. I put it back in
and rack with 9 in and it seats perfect. I try the same with the
other mag-same results. Now I figure the springs must be really
tight, but I bought the gun used. So now 3 days later I do the same
to see if they loosened a bit from being loaded and same results.

What should I do?

·
Registered
580 Posts
keep your mags loaded to full capacity. keep the spring under constant pressure. overtime the mag spring will "weaken" a bit and allow you to do what you're trying to do.

OR...lock the slide back, THEN insert the mag. send the slide forward under its own spring power.

hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
my sub was pretty tight for awhile too, now its fine. You bought it used? Guess maybe it didnt get much use, congrats on a new gun!

·
Registered
92 Posts
locosteelersfan said:
I got to shot my service 40 on monday. Put 300 thru it.
Functioned flawlessly and accurate as hell. I decided to put
it as my bedside gun. So at the range I everytime locked the
slide, inserted a mag then released the slide and only took the
mag out when empty. But once home I load it and insert mag
with the slide forward. First I notice I can't release the mag with
10 in it(clinton mag) then I rack the slide and it gets hung up
on the casing. Mag release button won't even budge.

Once I get the top rd out and mag falls as normal. I put it back in
and rack with 9 in and it seats perfect. I try the same with the
other mag-same results. Now I figure the springs must be really
tight, but I bought the gun used. So now 3 days later I do the same
to see if they loosened a bit from being loaded and same results.

What should I do?
Im having the same problem.. At first I thought it was the round but ive tried many different types and no change.. how long does it take to wear in the springs?? I bought mine 3 weeks ago and there still very tight..

·
Registered
443 Posts
On all the service .40's my department issued, that was a problem seen with all of them...It will go away with time....I can say now that after around 600 rounds or so, no more problems...I will say that you may want to get some of the new mags that are high caps...

As far as the springs go, that will take time...we have 12 round mags, some of my officers yet, still only carry 11....it is to ahrd to insert the 12th....I on the other hand still carry my XD 9, and have no problems what so ever....

I was told by Frank in the begining that the problem with the .40 was the sping not being heavy enough...My department and others had problems with FTF's from a mag....One department shitcanned all the high caps anyway and went with 10 rounders and no problems....

I was issued from Springfield new followers to be placed in all of our older 12 round mags...This is the problem in getting the 12th round in....

Hope this helps.....

Tom :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have 3 hi cap mags for the .40 and all three stick on the caseing when I pull the slide back.. guess I just need to fire it more.. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wound up tuning all of my magazine lips to avoid stuff like that. I don't normally do that but I wanted them all to be consistent.

The width of the lips controls how high the top round sits. Too high and it takes a lot of effort to seat a full mag, and also the release may be difficult to press. I make it so that a full mag has to be slapped in with a certain amount of tension that I like. And I adjust them all to feel the same. I adjust them with a rubber mallet. And if I go too far, I just pry them back with a wooden dowel. And if I mess up the shape, I use some brass or plastic punches and wack at it like a blacksmith.

I usually try to keep the lips parallel, though the angle of the top round can be somewhat controlled if you narrow the front of the lips slightly.

Anyways, that's what I do. I just use this pistol for gaming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts