Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking before I spend money on it.

USPSA production class. Are mag bump/slam pads legal?

I don't think so, but if they are.....

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Plastic and aluminum should be OK. Brass and Tungsten will definitely add weight.
January 2004 Edition Rule Book • Pg 97

16 Maximum weight: Yes, 2 ounces over factory specified

21. Allowed modifications are very limited and include the following:
21.1 No weighted attachments allowed to magazine.
21.2 Front sights may be trimmed, fiber optics inserted, adjusted and/or
have sight black applied. Sights must be of the notch and post type.
21.3 Replacement barrels allowed provided barrel length is same as
original factory standard. Heavy barrels and/or barrel sleeves not
allowed.
21.4 Action work to enhance reliability (throating, trigger work, etc.) is
allowed.
21.5 External modifications other than sights not allowed.
21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for
the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber
sleeves is permitted. Modifications to grips, other than previously
mentioned, not allowed, such as grooves cut to reach mag release
or size reduction.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Not suprising. Notice that none of the NROI folks weighed in on the matter.
#21 is titled "Allowed" modifications.
21.1 states that No weighted attachments are allowed to the magazine. It does not state that you can not add a base/slam pad.
IMO, if it does not add a competitive advantage it would be allowed. Brass and tungsten base plates like EGW makes that weight 6-9 ozs are made to extend capacity and enhance the free drop of the mag when released. They definitely provide a competitive advantage.
Plastic and foam rubber pads are made to protect the mag when dropped and the competitors hands in reloading.

·
Registered
452 Posts
R Dub said:
Not suprising. Notice that none of the NROI folks weighed in on the matter.
IMO, if it does not add a competitive advantage it would be allowed.
Plastic and foam rubber pads are made to protect the mag when dropped and the competitors hands in reloading.
I agree with your assessment. While having one of the plastic stock base plates break during a match while not likely could happen. I was thinking about adding foam to the base plates that's why I asked about it over at BE. After their answers and equally indecisive responses locally I just tracked down a bunch of extra stock base plates and carry them in my bag.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about them because I now have two busted floorplates, and I know it's from competition dropping partial mags on the concrete floor at my local range. I didn't know if the rubber ones Scott sells would be considered illegal as they are a little thick and might be construed as a comp. adv. on reloading.

Just want to protect the mags I have from needing constant repairs.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I don't think the Pachmayr pads would be a problem. They do not cover the entire area of the mag base plate, and trying to grab the mag by it would be like trying to pick up a needle by the point. I certainly wouldn't send you packing if am the RO/MD.
I don't think anything would be said at a local match anyway. If an RO does, let him/her do the touchy feely thing and see that it is not weighted. If the RO still objects, swap them out and shoot the match, then have a discussion with the MD afterwards. They are certainly not any more of an "external modification" than grip tape or sleeves, which are allowed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
From what I've been gathering from the rule book, as long as they're made out of foam you shouldn't have an issue. Plastic could be pushing it.

Here's how I look at it. You buy a baseball bat to whallop a baseball with and you don't worry about cracking or busting your bat. If you do, you buy a new one. The same is with these mags since 10rd mags are dime a dozen.

If you're indoors on a concrete floor, its a bit different, I'd sacrafice a little time and do an IDPA-type reload and retain the magazine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was using them last Tuesday - I definitely felt a lot more comfortable about dropping my half-empty mags on the floor.

I got a set of 5 from pistol gear, I don't remember how much but it wasn't expensive - so if it turns out that they're not allowed for whatever competition, you shouldn't feel bad about just ripping them off :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
ampleworks said:
Here's how I look at it. You buy a baseball bat to whallop a baseball with and you don't worry about cracking or busting your bat. If you do, you buy a new one. The same is with these mags since 10rd mags are dime a dozen.
I'll take a dozen then! Where should I send the dime? :lol: Seriously, @ $23 a pop, I don't love buying them. Not to hijack this thread, but is there a good place to buy extra mags cheaper than this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts