Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been covered in a previous thread I apologize. I looked but could not find. I've had my XDS for about 2 months and am very happy with it, there is one "problem". The Mag release is a bear to push. If I was ever in a situation where I had to make a quick mag swap I would have to ask the bad guy for a time out while I switched mags. " Why don't you have a smoke, I've got to change mags!" Is there a cure for this problem? Or is this particular to my gun. It looks like when the mag release is depressed it has to move both the trigger and the grip safety. Can this be gunsmithed out, or is this "just the way it is?:confused:
Thanks for any feedback.
Weggy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Definitely has been covered and I believe there is even a thread on lightly polishing it to make it a bit easier to push. That being said, it is really only a problem with a full mag and in any situation that I can think of, a mag swap will only be done with less than full mags. I don't see it as a problem for a carry weapon as I would like confidence in knowing I won't be able to accidentally release the mag causing a malfunction in a self defense situation. My. 02, mileage may vary.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I called Springfield about this issue a few weeks ago. It is what it is. This is not unique to your pistol. Pushing up on the mag will relieve pressure allowing an easier loaded mag disconnect. As sonosam said it won't be an issue with an empty mag. Having to fit all the components to make a pistol run in a small package such as the XDs means parts and tolerances are going to be tight. If the bad guy needs to smoke a cigarette while you change mags I would say you've got more problems than a stiff magazine release.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For dropping the mag, I pinch the gun between my thumb on the magazine release, and my index finger against the slide.

Also, try to remember that the magazine release is ambidextrous; you push it one way and it comes out the other side. If your hand is blocking the other side of the mag release, you're basically fighting against yourself when you press the button.

Pinch the gun between your index and thumb when operating the mag release and it should make things easier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes..the PRP extended release will help with the "tightness" of the button. Though, you also have to remember that your firearm is still very new. Break it in my simply loading/unloading a empty magazine. It'll break in and eventually get easier for you..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts